2 Master Links on 1 Chain

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 2 Master Links on 1 Chain

2 Master Links on 1 Chain

Is there any issue with putting a second master link on chain? I'm replacing a couple of single 60 chains and will have 2 pieces with 34 links in each.. If I needed another longer one, it would save buying another box and having a 3rd section of 34 links...

Not sure if a master link is weaker than other links, but it should not be a problem.

I have no problem with it.

RD

Thanks for your replies! I'll keep it in mind when I need another rear chain..

Quote Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
    Is there any issue with putting a second master link on chain? I'm replacing a couple of single 60 chains and will have 2 pieces with 34 links in each.. If I needed another longer one, it would save buying another box and having a 3rd section of 34 links...
    My only input on the subject is this. Whenever i have had a broken chain it has always been the master link that goes. So two master links in one chain doubles the chance of that chain breaking IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig_B View Post
    My only input on the subject is this. Whenever i have had a broken chain it has always been the master link that goes. So two master links in one chain doubles the chance of that chain breaking IMO.
    Where they actually broken or did the clip come off allowing the link plate to come off then bending/breaking the link itself, or did the link itself fail?

We repeatedly see the sliders groove and kick the clip off, it can be caught if found in time.

Most broken links I have seen have been riveted links, often times on oring chain.

I have often run multiple masters.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by ARGOJIM View Post
    Where they actually broken or did the clip come off allowing the link plate to come off then bending/breaking the link itself, or did the link itself fail?

We repeatedly see the sliders groove and kick the clip off, it can be caught if found in time.

Most broken links I have seen have been riveted links, often times on oring chain.

I have often run multiple masters.
    Yes I suppose that could be the case. All I know is that where my chains have failed.

Any chain is only as strong as the weakest link. If one master is ok then 2 or 10 or 50 are as well. Make sure your clip is facing the correct direction so the direction of rotation does not knock the clip off. The opening of the clip should be to the back (in direction of rotation or opposite of direction of rotation) just in case it slaps something at just the right time so the clip doesn’t get knocked off. Once the clip is knocked off the master link will bend because it will be a c shape. On dirt bikes it is usually knocked off by a stick but the Argos would likely be frame or worn slider contact.

+ Reply to Thread