1983 Hustler 950 V-twin transplant

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 1983 Hustler 950 V-twin transplant

1983 Hustler 950 V-twin transplant

Well, since I finally got myself motivated to start back to work on this, I thought I'd post up a new thread to show how I'm putting it all together. I decided that the little 16 HP flathead motor wasn't enough, so I found a pretty good deal on a used Kohler Command 20 to put in. I also have new 94c Duster and 780 clutches to put in.

I got my T-20 back together today, and hopefully I've sloved the leak problem. I took the plungers to the machine shop, and had 2 more o-ring grooves cut into them, so I now have the first triple o-ring plungers... Even though the guy didn't get the spacing right, I think they'll work fine...

I made brackets and put in Max II chain adjusters for the rear chains, so hopefully that'll save some headache.

I rebuilt the stick mounts, and made them more robust.

Tomorrow I will start on the T-20 bracing and making a split shift setup. Then I have to make a new engine mount plate. When all the fabrication work is done on the frame I will have it powdercoated.

I'd like to find a nice 980 lower before then so I can convert to a Bigfoot, but if not, I'll just go with the 950.

I'm also looking for a factory roll cage if anyone has a line on one of those.
    Last edited by Stonewall; 02-19-2012 at 08:54 PM.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Wow, you're going at it. I'd enjoy seeing some pitures of your MaxII chain tensioner setup if you find yourself wanting to post pictures.

Oops. Just looked in your gallery and saw pics of the setup. Looks nice and thanks for sharing pictures.
    1984 Hustler 980 and some other toys that won't even swim.

Quote Originally Posted by cclingma View Post
    Wow, you're going at it. I'd enjoy seeing some pitures of your MaxII chain tensioner setup if you find yourself wanting to post pictures.

Oops. Just looked in your gallery and saw pics of the setup. Looks nice and thanks for sharing pictures.
    Did the pictures not show up in my post? I can see them, I used Photobucket so they'd be nice and large....
    1974 Honda ATC 70

Yea pictures showed up great. Nice work! Those triple O ring plungers should never leak! Hopefully the MaxII chain adjusters work out well for you.

Yep, the pics showed up. Great work, excellent ideas! I might have to copy you......they say imitation is the best form of flattery. It looks like you're really making that Hustler a truly reliable machine. Next, you might want to reinforce the T-20 cradle with some extra steel so it doesn't work its way out.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Glad y'all can see the pictures. The Max adjusters work good on the table, so hopefully they'll do the same when it's all together. I started reinforcing the the T-20 mounts today. I have some flat steel tack welded onto the existing mounts to strengthen them, which I'll weld up when I get the mount slots in the right places, and I'm making some upper mounts with 1" angle. I'll post up some pictures of that tomorrow when I finish it. Feel free to copy whatever you like from my upgrades, hopefully some of y'all can see it in person a Busco (provided I make it )
    1974 Honda ATC 70

Stone,

Looking at the picture of your plunger...is it possible that the most inner O ring will go inside the case? If so it probably won't last too long. Even if it does it shouldnt hurt anything as the other two should be fine.
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Stone,

Looking at the picture of your plunger...is it possible that the most inner O ring will go inside the case? If so it probably won't last too long. Even if it does it shouldnt hurt anything as the other two should be fine.
    These were origionally single o-ring plungers, and the most inner one is the origional location. It won't be gettting pushed into the case, because the plunger hits the drum before it goes that far.
    1974 Honda ATC 70

I got my transmission mounts mostly finished, (my pictures were taken Friday...) and I'm almost ready to start on my split shifter setup. I'm still in the process of thinking of the best way to make it work.

1974 Honda ATC 70

Didn't get a whole lot done today. I finished drilling the holes for the transmission bracing. I was trying to work out how to do my split shift, and got frustrated with the crappy cobbled together floor area under the seat frame. So I cut the whole floor out and I'm now in the process of making a better one. I built a new battery tray, and tomorrow I'll put together most of my shift linkage, but I can't finish it until I find some heim joints... I can't believe how hard it is to get heim joints...
    1974 Honda ATC 70

+ Reply to Thread