Hustler 980 I/C

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 I/C

Nice machine, was that Dr Rainwater's machine?

Do not know the doctors name and the son in law, Jeff, had never met him, his wife inherited the machine when her father, the doctor, died. I do know from the looks of the tub the duck hunting use must have been real as there is not one scuff or scratch on the lower tub so it has seen no trail riding. The tread on the tires is like 95% but they are weather-checked badly. Sitting outside for the past three did not do it any good.

I peeled the tires off this morning and sent the wheels out to be blasted and powder coated. I think 27" gators with 3" extentions on the wheels will be what I have Tim build tracks for. Hopefully it all comes together for my trip to Iowa Thursday.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Before you buy any tires for your Hustler 980, ask Tim first if the tires that you choose will work good with his tracks. For his tracks to work properly, the tire that you choose needs to have minimal side wall tread, and with out an aggressive top tread, or the Adair track will cause chain wind up! Tim's tracks have been designed for the Good year Rawhide tire and the tires that come on the new Argo's

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    Before you buy any tires for your Hustler 980, ask Tim first if the tires that you choose will work good with his tracks. For his tracks to work properly, the tire that you choose needs to have minimal side wall tread, and with out an aggressive top tread, or the Adair track will cause chain wind up! Tim's tracks have been designed for the Good year Rawhide tire and the tires that come on the new Argo's
    I'm on it. Actually the Max will be running the Rawhides IIIs and they have a grouser for it that works with the case hardened chain. The type of track I want to run on the Hustler is the design they use on the Max machines and works best with a square tire like the Kenda Dominator. They are also using this style track on Mudox's for the rep in Canada I am told. Tim seemed to think the Gators would work.

Keith.

Keith

If Tim says that the Gator tires will work with his tracks, who am I to question his judgement. I have 6 Gator tires sitting in my garage and I know how aggressive the lugs are on the Gator tire when compared to the tire lugs that are on the Good Year Rawhide 111's. I ran these tires on the Mudd-Ox I used to own. I'm now running the Carlise tires with the Adair tracks on my Frontier. Tim sent Wildtexasranger a proto-type grouser to try on a 26 inch Mudlite that he's running on his deep tub Hustler 980, and the grouser slide over the sides very easy Wildtexasranger told me. When I compare a Mudlite tire to Gator tire, the tire lugs on the Gator are a lot more aggressive and that was what concerned me. MightyMaxIV and myself have spent hundreds of dollars trying different atv mud tires, and I know how expensive choosing the wrong tire can be. I like to stay with what has been known to work with Tim's tracks.

Tim says the problem with any of the larger tires is the lug size. With the tracks you really don't need the big mud lug height. You are after a larger carcass size to get floatation. Unfortunately it seems all the tires over 25 inch jump to a 12 inch wheel and run a tall lug. Maybe a a guy should actually get 28 or 30 inch tires and grind down the lugs like a truck puller does.

Keith.

Couple pictures of the Hustler after paint removal and cleaning.

Just a couple mechanical tweaks and it should be ready to roll. I ordered new tires that will not be in in time for tracks but I will give a report when they arrive.

Keith.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    I looked through your pics of this one in the gallery Keith, gotta say this is one clean find, congrats! The Adair tracks are going to turn this one into a genuine BEAST! What other upgrades do you have in mind for it, I see it already has a "shoehorn" throttle lever, is that something that you did, or was it already on there? The longer lever really helps deter hand fatigue, and you will definitely get to like that. I'm sure you have read tons on the site the t-20 shuffle, trying to get both sides engaged, so from personal experience, the best thing you can do to rid yourself of that worry, and prevent unnecessary wear on your shift collars, is to put a split shifter on this machine. Although it does allow for 0-turn capability, the main reason for a split shifter is, for a fact, ease of shifting. Anyone who has done this mod can and will tell you there is no comparison between driving a machine without it, versus one with it. Congrats again on your find!
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Thanks brushcutter, I am very happy with the way the Hustler is cleaning up. Sitting outside the last three + years sort of did some damage but some new seats, one chain and two idlers and it will be as good as new. I plan on making this a companion ride for the Max IV. I ended up ordering Duro Buffalo 28x12x12 tires for the 980. They seemed the least aggressive of all the bigger chevron style tires. The V also seems not as angled as other tires so I am hoping it will turn well when not fitted with tracks. Thats the theory at least. I think initially I will just drive the Hustler and just do the maintenace it requires to get a feel for it. Ultimatly to be a true companion to the Max it will need axle, chain and engine upgrades but I want to see how it handles the larger tires and tracks first.

Keith.

Congratulations on getting the 980 it really cleaned up nicely,lt looks really good and a great replacement for your Argo.i'm working on getting one soon,hopefully...

+ Reply to Thread