Hustler 980 I/C

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 I/C

Thanks, if you get one I think you will enjoy it. I think mine will be a very capable machine with just a few upgrades but as I said I plan on testing it as issued first.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Here is a walk around video of the Hustler 980 IC.

Enjoy, Keith.

What a clean machine you have there Keith. That has got to be one of my favorite AATV's!!! I want to see one outfitted with big tires and Adair tracks.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

Very Nice

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    The aqua torques are a great look for the Bigfoot, they really set it off! Looks like an exceptionally aggressive ride.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    What a clean machine you have there Keith. That has got to be one of my favorite AATV's!!! I want to see one outfitted with big tires and Adair tracks.
    Well, you should not have to wait long. The tires are at K3 Tire being turned down to 25.5 inches. When I get the tires mounted it will go to Adair. Tim said I will need to leave it there for a while as they will need to custom design a grouser for the wider tire. I think it will be very cool to see the 980 IC in tracks like the company must have designed it for 25-30 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuggyman1 View Post
    Very Nice
    Thanks, Jim. It's really clean for a machine that's unrestored. I am really happy and lucky to have ended up with it.

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    The aqua torques are a great look for the Bigfoot, they really set it off! Looks like an exceptionally aggressive ride.
    If it were not the tall tub version I would keep them on for sure. I did put a few hours on it today and they were great.

Thanks to member Highrollinmopars the 980 I/C will have a Hustler factory rollbar. I am pretty excited to get it and a complete factory split shift setup.

Thanks again Thomas, Keith.

That roll cage really looks good on your 980. I'm glad everything arrived in good order for you. Let me know if you need any other parts.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

KgHills,
    That is a very nice machine you have there. I have always thought that the Hustler bigfoot with the proper gearing and engine would be the ultimate machine for a set of Adair tracks.
    Since you have so much tub clearance you have options no one else has. Since you are already starting with very big tires and you are having a custom set of tracks made for the machine I would consider the new Adair design with steel plates and a competely open grouser. Then I would have Tim machine the grousers 1 1/2 inches tall 14 1/2 inches wide.
    Using this design with your tire and a 1 1/2 inch grouser you should have at least 12" of ground clearance (maybe more). If you have the power and gearing to turn those tracks in the mud your machine would be absolutely unstoppable and you would have the absolute mud King of AATV's or any other machine as far as that goes.

If you wanted more floation you could go with the 18" wide tracks with a 1 1/2 grouser-that set up would take you into coastal marshes and other places no machine except a commercial Marsh Master (24 inch wide tracks) could follow.

Any way you go you will be able to smoke every well set up 4x4 on the planet. What ever you decide to go with I want to see the results!!!!!

Hey Dan. I think we are sort of on the same page here. I was planning on the 14.5 tracks for the Hustler. My Max is set up with the 18.5 tracks for the extra floatation and I am very happy with it. The only real problem I have trail riding on ATV trails with the wider tracks is on sharp turns it is possible for the side plates to catch something as the machine is being skid steered sideways and try and push that track off the tire. I can see my tracks and am aware of it so its really not a problem plus the engine and clutch usually labor really hard letting you know to reassess the maneuver. So far this has never happened in deep mud. Just seems to be an issue on dryer hard packed ground or where small trees have been cut off with a couple inches sticking up. I hope to get the extra floatation on the Hustler from the larger tire carcass. Also the grouser itself may end up wider for the extra width of these tires. I have even talked to Tim about 2 inch tall grousers. In any case the machine will stay with Tim for a while to give him a chance to come up with something that is maximized for the tall tub. I will probably drop a couple teeth off the T-20 to compensate for the taller tires but as far as power goes I really sort of like the stupid Briggs 18HP I/C engine it came with from the factory. It has a distinct sound through the factory exhaust and ducting that I sort of like. It just sounds like the Hustler. In fact I even purchased a spare in case I run into any problems. Sort of my way of keeping the older machines more true to their origins. I look at the tracks and tires as a bolt on that the engineers designed the machine for but could not source at the time of production. That is now my job. Just 20-30 years later. Keith.

+ Reply to Thread