Hustler 980 I/C

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Hustler 980 I/C

That Briggs 18 HP I/C engine was one of the best amphib engines out there. Very advanced for its day and they respond well to tuning.

Had to pick the 980 up from the center of the body to flex it enough for the factory cage to mount up. Spent the morning with the heat gun warming up the mount areas and the center lower and upper body halves. I'll let it hang a bit to cool and hope nothing pops when I let it down off the hoist.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Took a couple pictures of the factory T-20 braces on the right side of my Hustler. I believe them to be factory issue. I have checked all the bolts and everything is tight.

Here is the right side upper front.

And here is the right side upper rear. It runs towards the back and attaches to the frame.

I know there is a lot of talk about the T-20 walking out of the frame on the Hustlers. With my machine being a very late production unit I think these braces were part of a solution to the problem. I plan on just adding a duplicate of the front top right brace to the left side and calling it good.

Keith.

Its looks very similar to the mount I built for mine.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Hi Keith I saw your video here on your 980 IC Hustler and saw that you have an exhaust sleeve out the side like mine. Today I'm trying to replace my drive belt but cant get to it because of this sleeve. There's no clearance on the side to slide this sleeve off. Some help? PLease!

Quote Originally Posted by bushhawg View Post
    Hi Keith I saw your video here on your 980 IC Hustler and saw that you have an exhaust sleeve out the side like mine. Today I'm trying to replace my drive belt but cant get to it because of this sleeve. There's no clearance on the side to slide this sleeve off. Some help? PLease!
    I was able to force mine past. It was a struggle, but I was able to do it. I don't really remember any kind of "trick" other than cursing and threatening it as I worked to get it on.

Keith.

OK I'll load up on the threatening and the cursing! I'm no mechanic so I was a bit timid on that part before. Didn't want to end up with a worse problem than I started with.
    Thanks Keith

+ Reply to Thread