New Hustler project...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hustler project...

Couldn't you apply a nonstick material inbetween the tube and the tire that would allow slippage....say maybe a lube or silicone? Then it wouldn't matter if the tire spun a little.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkola View Post
    Couldn't you apply a nonstick material inbetween the tube and the tire that would allow slippage....say maybe a lube or silicone? Then it wouldn't matter if the tire spun a little.
    What we used to do in the bad old days, at least with motorcycles, is actually use sheet metal screws right through the rim, into the tire bead. Worked pretty well, but don't know if I want to do that with these tires and wheels. But it's worth a thought.

The other option is to "glue" the beads to the rims. Permatex #80062 is a good product. Here is an old thread on it http://www.6x6world.com/forums/tire-...servicing.html

I had to put tubes in my old set of 22" rawhide3 tires. Permatex High Tack Gasket Sealant is the trick. Never had an issue with tire slipping on rim ever again.

Ever use Gasgacinch?

Just had a tenant move out and leave a bunch of junk...including a stock muffler set up from a Scion, I think. Big old drum type muffler, center intake, and a side exhaust. I think it's stainless too - I figured this might be interesting, so I mocked it up on the Hustler. I think a little bit of cutting and welding, and this will be a great can for it. I'm actually trying to get this thing, once I actually start to run it, as quiet as possible. Even to the extent of trying to brainstorm a way to run a small bank of batteries, a water cooled electric motor or two, and be able to completely shut off the infernal combustion engine, and cruise for at least a mile or so silent running.

Yeah. More projects I don't need. LOL.

Why do you want to be so quiet? I'm sure if you tried hard you could get the exaust to be quieter than the engine. I don't see how you could find room to add batteries and electric motors with the engine still in. There is a member who built a fully electric powered Attex, I remember it was pretty darn quiet from the videos.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Why do you want to be so quiet? I'm sure if you tried hard you could get the exaust to be quieter than the engine. I don't see how you could find room to add batteries and electric motors with the engine still in. There is a member who built a fully electric powered Attex, I remember it was pretty darn quiet from the videos.
    I've found it to be helpful in some of the areas I go, to be as quiet as possible. Locally, my choice of places to go are deserts, and some mountains. Deserts don't have much of an issue with noise, there's always someone out there in a Class 8, or YZ making tons more noise, but when you're going in the mountain areas there are tons of hikers and bikers. Sometimes it's nice to just bypass them quietly when they're on the trail so you don't hurt their feelings. Also, another reason is I'm planning on using the Hustler as a hunting base if needed, never hurts to be quiet. Even though, come to think of it, I've never had a problem sneaking up on things even if the engine is making a racket. My Rokon is noisy as hell, still see lots of wildlife just standing there.

As far as the technical side goes, I think I should be able to get a four or six battery pack in there, enough to give me some useful time with a small motor or two. Doesn't have to go fast, just has to be quiet.

And then there's those BLM rangers I like to stay away from.......

I'm starting to work on this project again. Had her stored under the pepper tree, filled with various boxes. Just dragged her back out and refilled all the flat tires, and drained the tub. Now she's going into a 10x20 shed to start the rebuild process. I'm going to get her up on blocks, pull all the running gear possible and do a general clean up and paint overhaul. I posted on another thread about potential wheel sizes, now I'm thinking I need to go up to 9" wheels, especially since I want to go a few sizes up from the dry rotted 21" tires. Max, from what I understand, is a 25" tire size, and that's what I'm kinda targeting. I'm sure this'll be a year long project, I'll be working on it every so often, in between all the other projects. One thing I am planning to do is swap out as much of the hardware as possible for stainless fasteners. I'm also planning on doing a cage, and a couple of receiver mounts for the winch. One other idea I'm playing around with, if I can find a trashed lower hull from a 950, is making a utility trailer to go along with the 945.

I might get her running first. This sucker is heavy and hard to move when it's not under power. I guess it's battery and fluid time tomorrow.

WOOHOOOOOO! It runs!

Doesn't really move well though, cleaned off layers of crud, someone pulled the axle bolts on two of the axles on one side. I'm going to drop some bolts in just so I can move it under cover and do the rest of the work.

+ Reply to Thread