New Hustler project...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: New Hustler project...

New Hustler project...

Anyone seen anything like this? I have zero experience with these things, but I've dug through lots of photos and haven't seen a "cruise control"...

At least the lower hull seem sound. Supposedly this was a runner and was driven into the area I picked it up from, about a year ago. Still had decent fuel in the filters, so I'm believing that for now. I'm planning on a frame up resto, but I'm going to need to get at least a couple more wheels and tires first, just to be able to roll it. Maybe I'll slime the dry rotted ones and see if that helps in them holding pressure. Two of them hold, two don't, and two are missing.

It's definitely seen some use. If anyone cares, there are more drivetrain detail pics in my gallery.

Quote Originally Posted by Czechsix View Post
    Anyone seen anything like this? I have zero experience with these things, but I've dug through lots of photos and haven't seen a "cruise control"...

At least the lower hull seem sound. Supposedly this was a runner and was driven into the area I picked it up from, about a year ago. Still had decent fuel in the filters, so I'm believing that for now. I'm planning on a frame up resto, but I'm going to need to get at least a couple more wheels and tires first, just to be able to roll it. Maybe I'll slime the dry rotted ones and see if that helps in them holding pressure. Two of them hold, two don't, and two are missing.

It's definitely seen some use. If anyone cares, there are more drivetrain detail pics in my gallery.
    I think your "cruise control" was a previous owner mod. Never seen another with the extra stick in between the laterals. But you do have what looks to be a nice Hustler-945 with the factory split shifter. Should be a fun project.

Yep, it's seen some garage welding, that's for sure. Is the factory split shifter what makes a 945 instead of a 950?

Yep, it's seen some garage welding, that's for sure. Is the factory split shifter what makes a 945 instead of a 950?
    I believe its the combination of Kohler K341 16hp single cylinder engine and factory split shifter. From info in other forums it should be anywhere from a 1975 up to a 1981.
    Last edited by Dan67; 09-20-2012 at 09:50 PM.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I was wondering how old it was.

looks like fun! I just did one a 900hk with the kohler k2ax 440 twin. lots of time and money! A few words of advice, dont buy any thing from Richard Clark,over priced and charges stupid money for shipping. I would not slime the tires,tried this once on a quad when I was a kid and lets just say we had to cut the tire off wheel with a sawzall. you can get tubes for about 8 bucks a piece. If you need and info on where to get parts the guys on here are very very helpful! And the knowledge is the best part! If you need parts for that engine let me know. There is a place over by Michigan that still has NOS 2 stroke parts! But most of all enjoy the build,take your time!

Quote Originally Posted by Zfish View Post
    A few words of advice, dont buy any thing from Richard Clark,over priced and charges stupid money for shipping.
    That's VERY true. Many, many people in the 6x6 hobby have been burned by Richard Clark/Route6x6. He sells inferior quality parts, his prices are ridiculously high, and his customer service is horrible.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Split shift doesn't have anything to do with the 945-HK model. Mine had a standard single shifter (I converted to split), but the build sticker on the gas tank also said 945-HK. I do, however, believe that yours is an older model, because your K341 is yellow instead of red. You may be able to find out more information from Richard Clark, he bought what was left of Hustler Corp. (There's now a bank where the factory used to be.) Richard is a nice guy and he'll help you out with information and advice, just don't buy anything from him. That K341 is a good engine, and pretty easy to rebuild, but it's not very powerful. If you plan on using the wheels you have, I don't recomment using slime. You would be better off to get a couple tubes, or just new tires. If you need some more wheels, I have a couple of 8" factory Hustler wheels you could get cheap. Good luck!!
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Split shift doesn't have anything to do with the 945-HK model. Mine had a standard single shifter (I converted to split), but the build sticker on the gas tank also said 945-HK. I do, however, believe that yours is an older model, because your K341 is yellow instead of red. You may be able to find out more information from Richard Clark, he bought what was left of Hustler Corp. (There's now a bank where the factory used to be.) Richard is a nice guy and he'll help you out with information and advice, just don't buy anything from him. That K341 is a good engine, and pretty easy to rebuild, but it's not very powerful. If you plan on using the wheels you have, I don't recomment using slime. You would be better off to get a couple tubes, or just new tires. If you need some more wheels, I have a couple of 8" factory Hustler wheels you could get cheap. Good luck!!
    More good info. I might have to call Richard - years back when he was first starting his website, he bid on a 1970's ATV encyclopedia that I had on ebay, and won it. I still have another copy, but I was surprised at how much the book went for. IAC, I guess Slime is out, and tubes are in!

Thanks for the wheels offer, please let me know what you want for them, I'll probably take 'em off your hands. One of the other ones I got with the project looks like it's oval. So yeah, I need a few more, at least as backups or to get some mobility out of the thing. I see that you're in McCrory, my Son and his family are in Springdale, over on the NW side of the state. I'll have to look around when I get out there and see if I can spot any other parts.

I guess Slime is out, and tubes are in!
    Do not rely on tubes unless you want to run your tires at 10 psi. Low pressure in the tires will allow the rim to spin on the tire at times and that can rip the valve stem off and leave you stranded. Slime actually works well, but is water based. I like to use half slime and half antifreeze with radiator stop-leak in it. Preferably the silver flake kind. This solves the rim corrosion problem and still gives good puncture and leak sealing.

+ Reply to Thread