Bringing Moby back to life...hopefully

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bringing Moby back to life...hopefully

Hey, that's exactly what my 950 looks like right now!

I hope you are right. I'm going to pick up a case of penetrating oil in the morning and start soaking everything associated with the axles. Then I think I will work at getting the head exposed and removed to see what that looks like. Haven't had time to read the T20 manual yet. Frank

Well, I think the honymoon is over. Sprayed PB Blaster on every fastener I could find including the lug nuts and hub area. Did it every day for over a week. Impact wrench had to work to get the lug nuts off. Can't budge the wheels at all. Tried beating the rim with a hammer, heating the center of the wheel with a torch and using every odd kind of puller I could find. They are still on there. Removed the muffler cover. TYhat only required snapping two out of three fasteners. I know I am never going to get the sprockets to move on the axles based on everything else I've encountered. Are all the sprockets still available anywhere? I am sure I am going to have to cut some of them. Ugh.

Don't give up yet,lol. Let the wheels soak longer. They'll come off. As for the sprocket tubes,they don't look too bad in the pic. Mine looked worse yet came off quite easily. If push comes to shove,you should only have to cut the axles which are eaiser to replace than sprocket tubes.

Joe.

You can get sprockets from Buffalo Bearing. Pretty much any size, tooth count, etc can be picked up from them. Then just weld them to some DOM tubing and you have all new sprockets/sprocket tubes. Give them a call and tell them you're with 6X6World and they'll take good care of you. (716) 874-1720.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by fesser View Post
    Well, I think the honymoon is over. Sprayed PB Blaster on every fastener I could find including the lug nuts and hub area. Did it every day for over a week. Impact wrench had to work to get the lug nuts off. Can't budge the wheels at all. Tried beating the rim with a hammer, heating the center of the wheel with a torch and using every odd kind of puller I could find. They are still on there. Removed the muffler cover. TYhat only required snapping two out of three fasteners. I know I am never going to get the sprockets to move on the axles based on everything else I've encountered. Are all the sprockets still available anywhere? I am sure I am going to have to cut some of them. Ugh.
    Mine were rusted and stuck on hubs as well, PB Blaster soaked it for a day the tool the sledge to it, hit in 4 spots around each rim tool about 3-4 times per rim but they came off. Key word is BFH

Thanks again for the wisdom guys. Going to get a bigger hammer today.

Hey Fes';

If the wheels are really giving you a hard time coming off the wheel flanges, get a long 2x4 and try to knock the rim off from the other side of the machine. Some rims have holes that are drilled exactly the same size as the wheel studs, and that can be a real sticking point. The Hustler sprocket tubes are pretty tough, so don't be afraid to knock them around a bit after you get the axle bolts out. Make sure the locking collars are completely loosened on the outer bearings and make sure the set screws are out on the inners. Given enough time and beating around, they'll come off one way or another. I have a big slide hammer that bolts to the wheel hub, which helps focus the force on some real ornery parts.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    Hey Fes';

If the wheels are really giving you a hard time coming off the wheel flanges, get a long 2x4 and try to knock the rim off from the other side of the machine. Some rims have holes that are drilled exactly the same size as the wheel studs, and that can be a real sticking point. The Hustler sprocket tubes are pretty tough, so don't be afraid to knock them around a bit after you get the axle bolts out. Make sure the locking collars are completely loosened on the outer bearings and make sure the set screws are out on the inners. Given enough time and beating around, they'll come off one way or another. I have a big slide hammer that bolts to the wheel hub, which helps focus the force on some real ornery parts.
    A slide hammer is a great tool. When I replaced my argo bearings I had a few that would not budge. I found a slide hammer kit and bought it. Made quick work of the axles. If you are restoring or fixing an old used machine, it is a must have tool.

Just pay attention when using BFH's and other WMD's on these machines. When trying to break something loose and it's not budging,something is absorbing all that energy. Patience and penetrating oil are the two most useful tools at this stage of the game.

Joe.

+ Reply to Thread