Bringing Moby back to life...hopefully

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Bringing Moby back to life...hopefully

Quick update. Four of the wheels came off damage free and fairly easily. One is still on and is intact, for now at least. One is destroyed and so is its tire. The destroyed one had a portion of the inner lip rusted completely through so I figured it needed replacing anyway. I ruined the tire trying to break the bead off the rim. On a weird note, the two stuck rims are mounted over some sort of aluminum spacer. The ones that came off were not. I guess the different metals in contact with each other are part of the reason they are being especially difficult. I tried different pullers I have here and couldn't really get any to work. My problem is the only place I can find to pull is on the inside of the hub opening and the lip I have to hang the puller edges on is too small and easily bent. With the wheels off I can see that at least some of my flanges look ruined. The axle is just flopping around on at least two holes. The shopping list grows...wheels, tires, chain, flanges, bearings...

Cut one wheel into little pieces and still had to split what was left to get it to slide off the spacer. The rusting reaction between the wheel, spacer, and axle flange was almost like cast iron. After I saw what I was dealing with I tried working the last wheel differently. No progress. I think I am going to cut that wheel up too. I have no idea what the spacers were there for but they have sure screwed up my progress. Also noted that the axles are very rusty, to the point where they have very deep pitting. I am thinking that I will have to replace them for fear that the rusting will have made them somewhat brittle. Oh well.

After beating the snot out of the remaining wheel I have given up hope that it will ever separate from the aluminum spacer. This is the center wheel on the left (driver's) side. Plan B was to remove the whole axle and see what I could do when it wasn't attached to the tub. I got the outer flange off (two out of three bolts snapped). The outer bearing disentegrated so the outer end of the axle is now flopping around in the hole in the tub. On the inboard side I found a little collar on the axle by the inner bearing. I removed a set screw from the collar but the axle will not pull out. I honestly don't know why. I assume the collar needs to come off the axle end but it won't. I smacked it with every tool I could fit in there to no avail. I am about ready to start cutting up parts again. This thing is a real rust bucket. Any ideas?

The inner collar on the axle attached to the bearing is an eccentric locking collar. Hit it counter clock wise and it might come loose. Get a chisel in the small hole on the collar and hit the chisel with a hammer. It might come loose. If not, cut the inner bearing and locking collar if you can get a die grinder in there.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks. How far should it rotate before unlocking typically?

It's probably a quarter turn, but once you get movement they tend easy come off. I have had po's lock the color the wrong way so it doesn't hurt to try hitting it the other direction if you are making no progress. Also, make sure you take the set screw all the way out and verify that there is not another one underneath it. Sometimes the top one is just acting as a locknut for the bottom one.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

This is what she looks like now (see classifieds).
    Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread