Hustler Rebuild version 2.0

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hustler Rebuild version 2.0

Hustler Rebuild version 2.0

I took it apart and put on a winch mount, built a belly band, and got everything ready to take my new hustler hunting this year. We only put maybe 35-40 miles on it but we figured out a few things.

I liked the way it ran, motor had enough power, but it could use more. And it seemed to me it could use to be geared down a hair.

So here we go Hustler rebuild version 2.0

I scored a new welder so before i took it back apart i made a winch guard and got new tires.

Got it apart and noticed the frame was bent. Had to reinforce my shop press so i could use it sideways. (did i say I SCORED a new welder?)

Starting the first reassemble. Figured i would put it all together on the frame first then re install it all back in the tub since i have to drill holes for the set screws on the sprockets anyway.
    New bearings inner and out, new Apache gear axles and sprockets.

I was going to put double collars on all the bearings.

and that's as far as i got tonight.
    Last edited by suntiet; 11-19-2013 at 02:53 AM.
    Steven Untiet

Well actually I cut one of the new chains down and put it on tonight.
    I have a question, I looks to me like a half link would make the perfect fit. Half links are okay right?
    Steven Untiet

looking really sharp, and as for half links I use em...don't know bout others.
    MUSCATEER 6x6
    Kubota 14hp 2cyl diesel engine, Hagen/Rooter transmission Comet 780 Drive/770 Driven 22x12x8 Bearclaw tyres
    Soon to add on a ... RHB31 Turbo..guess that would make it a
    MUSCA TUR BOTA then eh?
    94 F350 4x4 7.3 IDI ZF 5sp
    90 Bronco..awaiting a rebuild like no other = Tons and turbo diesel

Okanagan Similkameen BC Canada
    Al "Camo pants"

I had to use half links on my as well,,,,,,,, well really I had to create my own half link with some links I had laying around cause i couldn't find any O-ring half links anywhere. I really put my machine to work, trying to find the weak link (literally this time) almost every time i ride.. No issues so far with 55 hours on the chains.

It was a great idea to reinforce your frame! Our beloved Hustler has always had issues with twisted, bent and or broken rails and or beams. I added almost 50 pounds of metal to my machine to reinforce it totally. I got a lot of ideas from other Hustler owners like Don, Hydromike, Racerone3, Highrollingmopars, Dan67 and last but not least at all, Whipper-AG and Reb181.

Your machine looks great, and you most definitely can not go wrong with the Apache Gear!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Do you have any pictures of your frame work?
    I was going to do the reinforcement after I have all the chains, linkages and what not installed.
    Steven Untiet

Here is a video that I have on youtube you can also find my thread: http://www.6x6world.com/forums/hustl...i-rebuild.html
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

progress update

So I installed all the axles and chains. Got a look at where the new tensioners are going to live.

Then i took it all apart and cut off the old tensioners and put in a new cross member. Cut the slots in the metal.

I haven't figured out the back ones yet. Not sure if I have the space for the sprocket to fit. I would if I added a half link? Is a little longer chain with a bearing sprocket tensioner better than a half link shorter chain running on a polymer bushing?

I have a little work to do in the morning, hopefully get my buddy over and get some more progress made after that.
    Steven Untiet

Looking good.

Joe.

Keep working Fred, you will get there. Looking Good!
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways , cigar in one hand, whiskey in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!!"

more progress

Who's Fred?

So I completed the installation of the tensioners for the main drive off the T-20.

And got one of the rear tensioners in as well. I had to add a half link so the sprocket would clear the tub. I think that having the sprocket with the bearing on a chain with a half link extra in it was better than running the nylon roller with out bearings??? Hope i am right.

the old one is just there to show the difference.
    Last edited by suntiet; 11-25-2013 at 03:05 AM.
    Steven Untiet

+ Reply to Thread