Too much play? T20 output shaft and chains (2 videos)

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too much play? T20 output shaft and chains (2 videos)

Too much play? T20 output shaft and chains (2 videos)

So I posted a little while back about my new Hustler, and I've been going through it and seeing what needs to be done. As my 6x6 is the only one I've actually ever seen in person, I thought I'd post a couple of videos for some help in evaluation. Sorry for the quality... cell phone vids. Appreciate any thoughts. The output shaft video also shows where a snap ring has partially come away from its race on the belt side.

Adam

http://s254.photobucket.com/user/ari...ea462.mp4.html

http://s254.photobucket.com/user/ari...b5f57.mp4.html

There's supposed to be a little bit of play, but that's too much. I'm thinking the thrust washers in the transmission all need to be replaced. It won't be very expensive at all. Give Recreatives a call and they'll be able to send you out a thrust washer kit. Amphibious Six-Wheel Drive All-Terrain Vehicles: MaxATVs - Call 1-800-255-2511
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I've got to disagree with JP here. It's going to be your center plate. The sun gears are held in alignment by the center plate, and there is supposed to be a hardened steel washer separating them. This washer has little tabs that hook into slots that keep it from turning. I have seen several of these washers that have the center hole either too big, or off center, and that allows the washer to spin with the sun gear. This wears on the center plate which is softer cast metal. I've actually seen it several times, and have been able to repair mine....but without access to a machine shop, you are probably better off buying a new center plate.

Go ahead and tear it down, and post up some pictures with measurements. We can verify that's your problem, and set you up with the right parts to get it fixed and back on the trails.

My analogy is that the right side c-clip for the sun gear is gone,allowing the input shaft to slide outward until the bore of the left side output shaft interferes with the left side sun gear being able to pass through. This is the only thing keeping it from coming all the way out. Either way (Jeff,Jim and my ideas),the trans must come apart or you [U]will[U] have problem down the trail.
    Last edited by JoeMeg; 12-19-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Had to make my "sides" correct.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMeg View Post
    My analogy is that the left side c-clip for the sun gear is gone,allowing the input shaft to slide outward until the bore of the left side output shaft interferes with the left side sun gear being able to pass through. This is the only thing keeping it from coming all the way out. Either way (Jeff,Jim and my ideas),the trans must come apart or you [U]will[U] have problem down the trail.
    Joe, I didn't even think about that.....I bet you're right. Good thinking on both your part and Jim's. It's great how "The Network" can diagnose a problem over the Internet, and with much, much more accuracy than WebMD I might add!

Now split that thing open and let's start some brain surgery!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Thanks guys, I knew that slop didn't look right. Out comes the transmission! Once I get in there, I'll report back with pictures and measurements. Anyone have a chance to look at the second video of the chains? I've cranked down on the tensioners about as far as they'll go, and it still seems a bit loose to me.

Yeah, your chains are still just a bit too loose. Did you have the machine off the ground when you adjusted the tension? If not, try that. You can lift one side and tighten all of the chains on that side before switching to the other if that is easier.

+ Reply to Thread