how to increase mph without swapping engine?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: how to increase mph without swapping engine?

OK I can easily push the drive belt down 4 maybe 5 inches with 1 finger,heck I can wrap my hand around the top and bottom of the belt to almost touching each other.the belt seems to have lot of slack.I'll post up a picture in a few min.OK heres a few pictures.

Let me know what you guys think.thanks
    Last edited by Byrd; 02-03-2014 at 04:48 PM.

Yikes... without even looking at the picture, you need to replace the belt. Since you've put a different engine in your 950, we really don't have a known belt that is going to work with your custom application. You can get close by estimating the clutch-to-clutch center distance, but even then, a quarter of an inch difference in belt length will make quite a difference when you don't have an engine slide to adjust tension. Just in case it doesn't show up in the pictures, what belt are you running now?

Also, can we get an idea of how many teeth are on your primary sprockets? They're the first sprockets that are driven by the transmission on the center axle. I'm just wondering if they're something different than the stock 950 sprockets. I'm willing to bet that fixing the belt is going to go great lengths into solving your 8-12mph dilemma.

::EDIT:: Well, I'll say this much. It's a GREAT way of limiting the vehicle's speed for younger drivers that are just learning! Yeah Byrd, you need a different, shorter belt. It *almost* looks like the belt is too narrow, too. That could also be excessive wear, too. You'll want a 1-3/16" wide belt for those clutches. If the belt number isn't visible on the outside of the belt, can you use a fabric tape measure (or piece of string) to accurately measure the belt you have now? Measure the outer circumference of the belt....
    Last edited by hydromike; 02-03-2014 at 04:57 PM.

I'm gonna go to the local Coop and see if they have these type of belts in stock this week,I'll post again once I know something.:-) thanks a lot guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Byrd View Post
    I'm gonna go to the local Coop and see if they have these type of belts in stock this week...

Okay, but just realize you're going to (much more than likely) need a different belt altogether; not just a "new" belt directly replacing that one. If they have a lot of belts and are willing to work with you on fitment, you might want to start with something that's a full 1-3/16" width and at least 1/2" shorter. Some retailers are good to deal with and understand that it's a trial and error process; they'll let you return an unused belt if it's the wrong size.

The center to center spacing on my attex is around 14.25 inches and i'm using a 49 inch belt.

I have a Briggs Vanguard in my Hustler and I'm using a Max Buffalo Truck drive belt. The one for the Buffalo Truck with the Kohler engine.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I've had no luck,soo I'm gonna make an adjustable engine plate and solve the whole finding a belt problem I'm having.:-)

+ Reply to Thread