Really need help before I waste more money please help !!!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Really need help before I waste more money please help !!!

Really need help before I waste more money please help !!!

Ok so I have a 80? Model hustler 980 bigfoot , I was told or rather seen on here
    A guy with about the same problem and someone had told him that the dayco hp 2031
    Is the right one for his .... Well I bout that same belt , but
    It seems like it is to small , so is there a way that I could slide the motor ? Kind of like a go kart or do I get a bigger belt ? Please help I've had this thing for two months and haven't used it once . I've already rigged throttle ... Do I use duck tape for a belt lol ? J.k

Duct tape does wonders for repairs.
    Broken windshield? Duct tape
    Favorite watch is broken? Duct tape
    Best friend got a broken heart? Duct tape
    Stand for the Flag. Kneel for the Cross.

For a Hustler 980 with the stock Briggs 18hp I/C engine, the Dayco HP2031 is the correct belt. On the 980s, there is no provision for sliding the engine forward or backward. You're stuck running the stock belt until it gets too loose, at which point you replace it. The alternative is to fabricate slides on the bottom of the engine mount where it mounts to the frame to let the engine slide backwards. This is problematic if you have the original exhaust shrouding over the muffler, since it'll run into the body when you slide it.

Are you running the stock engine? What makes you think the belt is too small. Does it not go over the clutches at all, or does the secondary clutch not close up completely?

I have the HP2031 on my 980. Yes it is hard to get on. Mine is already loose and needs to be replaced. Old machines are wonderful things.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Well it's seems to b about 2 or 3 inches to short. And yes sir I have that motor and I wasn't thinking about the muffler setup it has , so puting a slide on it is out of the question .... It's already close enough to trany , which by the way I think is a t-20 .... I'm gonna attempt to try and put it on this morning . Should I take pictures of the motor and post them ? Maybe you could give me a better judgment on what I'm working on . Cause this whole 6x6 thing has put me in a whole new world .

Perhaps someone has put the larger clutches on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Countrysinger31 View Post
    Well it's seems to b about 2 or 3 inches to short. And yes sir I have that motor and I wasn't thinking about the muffler setup it has , so puting a slide on it is out of the question .... It's already close enough to trany , which by the way I think is a t-20 .... I'm gonna attempt to try and put it on this morning . Should I take pictures of the motor and post them ? Maybe you could give me a better judgment on what I'm working on . Cause this whole 6x6 thing has put me in a whole new world .
    Yes, please take pictures and post them on the site so others can help diagnose any problems.

When you install a belt, first put the belt on the engine clutch. Place the t-20 in neutral and hand turn the clutch, walking the belt on. it is a very tight fit.

Yes sir you were rite , it is the right belt and a say that feeling like an idiot ,,, due to not opening up the clutch all the way .

Glad to hear you got it together. Here is how I've modified a couple Hustler motor mounts to provide belt adjustment. It is just 1 1/2 angle welded to the stock mount with slots cut in it. On the 980 you will wither have to open up the hole in the body for the duct to be able to slide back, or unbolt the duct from the engine and attach it to the body so that the engine will slide independently of it... you will need to trim either the engine shroud, or the duct a bit to do this.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread