My Hustler rebuild (with a few tasteful modifications/upgrades) :D

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Hustler rebuild (with a few tasteful modifications/upgrades) :D

My Hustler rebuild (with a few tasteful modifications) Split Shift Install Added

Well, I've enjoyed reading everyone else's build thread and have been gaining a lot of insight and ideas from everyone, so I figured I'd start documenting my rebuild and contributing, in a small way, to the body of knowledge that this site has accumulated.

I'm going to start by just posting a couple of pics of the Hustler as I received it, and a few of where its at now. Then I'll follow up some posts getting into the details with various stages of completion. I still have a ways to go... gotta wire everything back up, pry the trans apart to fix a output shaft play issue (parts for that are on the way), and throw my new chains on, but I can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Things I've done so far: frame out, sandblast and respray, split shift set up, transmission bracing, plastic welded multiple body holes, bearings, flange seals, upgraded lights, made: diamond plate skid plate, winch mount/bumper/future instrument panel, resprayed roll cage, replaced seats, upgraded tires and wheels.

Before

After

Last edited by arieck; 09-05-2014 at 12:23 PM.

Lookin' Good!

Very tidy build. Is that an MGB GT in the background ?

Yes, its a 69 MGB GT... the "other" project waiting for my attention after I get this one buttoned up. When I got the hustler, my progress on that one stalled out big time!

Worth doing, they may not be the best handling or even the quickest of the sixties and seventies sports cars around but they were very reliable, a good everyday car.
    They didn't have any "quirks" either that tried to kill you at the first sight of a bend or wet road, which is nice. It's also more than can be said for the Spitfire, Vitesse, 3 ltr Capri etc that did their very best to put you in an early grave, as you can see, I survived

Looks real nice!

Looks really nice. The only suggestion I have is to relocate the sticks in the middle for a better balance and more room for the driver. The sticks are easy to cut and bend and within an hour or two you'll be surprised how good the middle stick set up is.

Look's Very nice ! I like the wheels !! What size are thay and where did you find them to fit ?

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    Looks really nice. The only suggestion I have is to relocate the sticks in the middle for a better balance and more room for the driver. The sticks are easy to cut and bend and within an hour or two you'll be surprised how good the middle stick set up is.
    Sticks in the middle?

Yes, Laterals that is. I relocated mine to the middle of the floor and made for a better balanced machine and still had room for a passenger as long as you are on a friendly basis. I've always thought the sticks were too far left on the Hustler. I have big feet so my left foot barely fits left of the lateral on a stock machine.

+ Reply to Thread