Aluminum Chassis Build from 950 with springers.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Aluminum Chassis Build from 950 with springers.

Aluminum Chassis Build from 950 with springers.

All,

After a complete restore of 950 with a 16hp cast Kohler I will now embark on the next adventure with my 950 that incorporates an aluminum chassis and springer design (tangent from my previous springer post) - working on the component kit now. Since this is going to be for Colorado elk and deer hunting I anticipate water crossings only with no swimming.

The 6x6 design is now ready and cut sheets are being completed for the aluminum sheet metal and chassis. The build will begin this winter. Will have to reacquaint myself with aluminum welding. I have found a shop in Boulder that will laser cut all the sheet metal components including brackets, body plates, suspension arms.

The plans are to refresh the T-20 and couple it to a 40HP FI Subaru-Robin engine to run at a low duty cycle, accommodate the extra weight, and drive a hydraulic pump for implements. The sprockets and chains will be upgraded to a double configuration. I am also designing a closed oil system for the drive mechanisms similar to that on a skid-steer which will take some more thought.

Additional notes:
    1. Drive train is from my 950 Hustler
    2. External axle center lines have been been offset to accommodate 27" wheels.
    3. Uses inexpensive motorcycle shocks
    4. No change to drive assembly needed (sets on top of frame as is).
    5. Tool box on each side of bed. Rack to be added (not shown)
    6. Controls to be modified for easier access.
    7. Kept compact design for woods navigation.

Questions,

1. I am looking for about 30-35mph with tractor like grunt as I will be pulling a hunting / camp trailer into the back country in Gunnison. With a 40hp gas engine what would the appropriate gearing look like?
    2. Any concerns on the T-20 holding up under that type of load? I assume not since it was designed for steers.

Any input appreciated.

Thank you.
    Attached Images
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

That is a nice looking machine. It will have to be pretty lightweight if you want 30-35 mph and have pulling power with 40 hp.

Is it worth adding a hi/lo gearbox?
    "First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by shawngray66 View Post
    Is it worth adding a hi/lo gearbox?
    Hydromike is putting a hi/lo in his newt the bold with a t-20. Worth is something only you can decide as your the one that is doing the work.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

I think a range box is a great idea, but the Hustler is a bit limited from the standpoint of shoehorning a range box in without a lot of modifications. The Newt the Bold is not only wide, but it's darn long, so I have the room to work with.

The NP203 box is also wicked heavy. If memory serves me correctly, it's about 110lbs, which is absurd for something that's only providing a 2:1 reduction. I'd have been better off putting a three-speed transmission in it instead. If you could find a Dana/Spicer/Chelsea PTO-style range box like the one below, it'd be a much better option. I don't know the reduction, but it's much smaller, lighter and can still handle all the horsepower you'll be able to fit into a Hustler.

+ Reply to Thread