Hustler 900 in pieces and am probably going to need some help if possible

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler 900 in pieces and am probably going to need some help if possible

Question Hustler 900 in pieces and am probably going to need some help if possible

So I just acquired a Hustler that is in multiple pieces (I will try and post pics soon) in a trade. By multiple I mean it is completely apart. I have spent a lot of time reading over the posts and from what I can gather I believe that I have a 900. It came with the Kohler 440cc (don't know if that's what it had in it) and a Tecumseh 16hp as well, (maybe that was the original engine??) the tub is in good shape and the axels look good. However, it appears that one of the axels has a slot on the end almost as if it were keyed none of the rest do? It also came with rims for the tires (8in) but no tires. So now for the questions:

1. If it is a 900 can I go with bigger rims and tires?

2. all of the inner bearings are frozen and need to be replace, should I replace them with stock bearings or is there an upgrade that I could do.

3. what engine should I use? I think that the 440 with a little tlc will run fine, it appears that the Tecumseh is seized... should I upgrade the engine? I would like to use this in the mud as well as in the mountains and i'm hesitant about a 2 stroke.

Although I know it seems that I am asking questions for the end of the project, until I get the grease and dirt off of the rest of the parts and post pictures its a start.

Any help here would be greatly apreceated.

Thanks,

Josh

The 2-stroke was most likely original. The axles should be pinned not keyed. You are correct in being hesitant on a 2-stroke for trails. A newer Briggs, kohler or even Kawasaki 4 stroke would be great, but harbor frieght sells those clone engines and even the 22hp is not badly priced. You could go with a smaller one to save money. Even the 13hp would move you around alright. Oh yeah and tires. Not much bigger fit. I'd stick with an 8" rim and 21 or 22" tire. You may be able to squeeze 24 or 25" tires, but it may take a little lifting of your tub.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

axel

0406151744.jpg here is the end of one of the axels the slotted one14283717231511059989312.jpgand this is the other 5 axles... Don't quite understand

I can't say I ever saw Hustler keyed axles.........they may or may not have made them like that at one point. Someone could have had a machine shop cut them in there as well somewhere along the lifespan of the machine. The pinned axles are what all the factory original Hustler axles that I've seen look like, 1-3/16" diameter with the ends turned down to 1".
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Quote Originally Posted by amphibious drew View Post
    The 2-stroke was most likely original. The axles should be pinned not keyed. You are correct in being hesitant on a 2-stroke for trails. A newer Briggs, kohler or even Kawasaki 4 stroke would be great, but harbor frieght sells those clone engines and even the 22hp is not badly priced. You could go with a smaller one to save money. Even the 13hp would move you around alright. Oh yeah and tires. Not much bigger fit. I'd stick with an 8" rim and 21 or 22" tire. You may be able to squeeze 24 or 25" tires, but it may take a little lifting of your tub.
    Thank you for your help, I figured that the 2 stroke was probably the original. The axels are pinned, however I was meaning the end where it fits into the inner bearings. and I figured that I would have to stretch the body a little bit in order to fit anything bigger but though that I would ask first. on Thursday I am off for a week so its my project.

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    I can't say I ever saw Hustler keyed axles.........they may or may not have made them like that at one point. Someone could have had a machine shop cut them in there as well somewhere along the lifespan of the machine. The pinned axles are what all the factory original Hustler axles that I've seen look like, 1-3/16" diameter with the ends turned down to 1".
    That's what I thought, I measured them and all neck down to the 1" except for that one which is 7/8" so I think that it was either redone or machined. It is also a 1/2" longer then the rest so I will just replace it. Thank you for the response.

Don't know if you ever found an answer to this, but could that one be the center axel on the left side (You facing the machine) that sometimes had the rotor for the parking brake?

+ Reply to Thread