My new-to-me Hustler project

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My new-to-me Hustler project

My new-to-me Hustler project

Greetings fellow forum-goers!

I'm Travis, I'm 16 and live south of San Antonio, Texas. I've been following AATVs with interest for the last few years, ever since Nick O. introduced me to them through a game called Rigs of Rods. I even ended up modelling an Attex and putting it in the game. There's a thread for it somewhere on this forum.

Fast forward to last week, Nick messaged me on Skype with a link to a craigslist ad, it was listed as an Argo, and his asking price was $500. But Nick and I quickly determined that it was in fact a Hustler. The seller said it ran when he bought it and that he disassembled it and began a restoration of sorts and finished the entire lower half, he believed it was complete, and from what I could tell in the pictures, that seemed to be the case. All it really seemed to need was tires, and of course whatever work the engine may need to get running again. The seller said it would need new tires, but Nick said if there weren't any holes all the way through the tires, tubes should make them usable. So I contacted the seller and after a few messages asking various questions, I offered $300 and he came back with $330, which I had no problem accepting. So I made the 3.5 hour drive with my parents to take a look at it.

As usual pictures can only tell you so much, as it turns out it's not entirely there. But I ended up buying it. The biggest thing that's missing is the engine cover/rear seat. But the rest of what's missing seems to be small bits and pieces. It did come with a box of wiring, the fuel pump, headlight seals, one headlight bulb, an extra axle flange, and a few other small things. Mechanically everything seems to be in working order, the chains have very little rust, good tension and when you turn the axle there's little to no resistance. The passenger side drive chain is missing, but the seller gave me a small roll of chain to cut down and use. I also shifted the tranny a few times and moved the sticks around, everything was smooth as butter. Though the right stick moves farther forward than the left, I've traced that to the bolt that acts as its pivot point, the welds seem to have broken free. It also has what looks to be a nearly brand new drive belt. Also, as far as I can tell, someone replaced the axle pins with nuts and bolts, so I see that as a big plus. The condition of the body is fair, there's only three minor cracks on the lower tub, but the upper is where the problems exist. It has cracks all around it, though only four or five that I would consider major issues.

The tires are also a point of interest, they're in worse condition than I hoped, but they don't appear to have any holes going all the way through. So I'm on the fence on whether to attempt to use them or not. My fear is that something like a stick or sharp rock could punch through the week-points on the tires and puncture my tubes.

Now on to identifying what exactly I have, from the data plate on the engine I found that it's a Kohler 440 (exact model K4402AX). And the carb appears to be a Walbro WF17-043655, but the F and 0 are partially worn off. As far as condition of the engine, it has a broken spark plug boot, the fan belt and recoil are missing, and the exhaust manifold has a small crack where it looks like it broke completely and someone tried to repair it. Other than that it looks to be in pretty decent shape, and it still has compression. It also has the flex pipe for the exhaust, but the muffler is rusted out and filled with dirt and various critter nests, so I doubt it will be much use to me.

As far as the machine itself goes, it doesn't have the plate that would usually be to the left of the driver, and I can't find any kind of identification on the chassis. But with the help of a couple threads here, Nick and I are pretty sure it's a 1976 900HK model.

Here's a list of what I think I need, so far, along with some things I'd like to get done for cosmetics/future proofing:
    - Tires (maybe)
    - New wiring (maybe)
    - Headlight bulb/lexan light shields (maybe)
    - Various hardware/mounting equipment
    - Throttle/choke cables/choke lever
    - Fan belt
    - Recoil starter
    - Carb rebuilt kit
    - Fuel line
    - Spark plug boot
    - Air filter
    - Muffler
    - Rubber bushing for motor mount
    - Lots and lots of epoxy. Possibly sheet metal for bracing
    - Paint to go over epoxy, maybe bedliner for the tub. Debating spray bombing the rims
    - New handle grips
    - Floor boards

If anyone has pointers on repairing cracks, getting anything else done, places to find deals on parts, or even things to add to my list of things to buy, that would be greatly appreciated. After all, my reason for posting here wasn't only to share my excitement with the community, but also to get any advice I can. Because as a first time owner I need all I can get!

Thanks for taking a look, here's a link to the pictures I've taken so far: 1976 Hustler 900HK - Album on Imgur

Congratulations on picking up your Hustler. I wouldn't worry about the tires until you get everything running like you want. If they hold air at all, just use them while you test things out. If they don't hold air, tubes are just a temporary fix. With tubes, you would have to run higher pressure to keep the tires from spinning on the wheel which would shear a valve stem. You will want to avoid the tubes long term. Good luck with your rebuild.

Thanks, Mike! I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Right now I'm trying to track down a rebuild kit for my carb. I've found a few different gasket sets, but only one true rebuild kit, and that's at Richard's Relics. I've been having trouble getting in touch with him though. I've also found my fan belt and spark plug boots, so it's looking like the only thing I need to find is the rebuild kit, then I can get everything ordered and see if I can't get this engine running.

I'm sure Richard's Relics would have what you are looking for. Some people feel like he is overpriced so you may want to check eBay or even somewhere like Jacks Small Engine to compare prices. You could also go to your local small engine repair shop. They may also be able to help you out. Good luck with the engine.

Change of plans, I'm ditching the 440 in favor of a 4 stroke. Both for better trail performance and to save the money I'd spend on parts to get the 440 running. But after looking at the price of a comet 780 clutch, I just can't spend that much.

So what I'm wondering is, can I take my current clutch, and replace the springs with a 780 spring kit? It's either that, or I'd have to find an alternative CVT to use.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    Hey Travis, congratulations on the buy. You'll enjoy it when you get it going. For a trail machine a 4 stroke is the way to go, more low end torque a lot less noise. When it comes time to buy tires you can go as big as a 25 with minimal spacing on the rear axles. Good luck bringing it back to life.
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Thanks, yeah, I figured since I don't have anywhere/anyone to race down here a trail machine would be the most useful to me. Thanks for the info on the tires too, I was under the impression that only bigfoots could run 25s.

Sorry to double post, but I really need to know about the clutch. If there's no way for me to avoid buying the 780 my project will definitely have to go on hold until I get a job of my own, which could be anywhere from next summer to a couple years depending on how things play out.

So if someone who's done a 4-stroke swap could give some insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not a CVT guy but I think you can use a lighter spring in your 2 stroke clutch. You may also have a tapered shaft on your clutch but you can purchase an adapter to allow you to run it on a 4 stroke. If someone else doesn't chime in, give Roy at Quality Drive a call. He will know what you need to do.

the cvt is a different animal, you can take it apart and re-clock it, their are different holes where you can move the spring to get differnt tensions, i never could
    get one to work for me on GOLIATH but you might. i could get it to haul a$$ but would not down shift properly so i ditched the cvt for a 780.

good luck

+ Reply to Thread