Hustler with half tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler with half tracks

Hustler with half tracks

Greetings,

I have an old question, seeing if there are any new answers out there. I have an 80 ish 950 ish hustler with a rebuilt single cylinder Kohler. I know these machines are from the south and probably not designed and built for snow and tracks. I use the extensions and full tracks from Richard, and have successfully added cleats. The tracks seem to add a ton of weight and drag to the machine IMG_2893.jpgmegreenmancine.jpgtrax.jpgas expected. I have good luck in deep snow if the machine can stay on top of it, sometimes it can get hung up in deep icy snow. Richard did not recommend the half tracks early on. I am temped to try then for ease of weight and torque drag, possibly making the machine more nimble. Anybody tried half tracks in the snow?

i used my homebuilt halftracks on my max 2 in snow and mud and they worked great. my tracks were low profile so i left the front axle chains on. if the tracks you have make the rear 4 tires a larger diameter, you may need to remove the front axle chains so you don't get chain windup. depending on the depth of snow, you should do well especially with less drag. worth a try. i thought about taking my 2 front tires off and putting on 2 of those aluminum saucer sleds to keep the front ''floating'' on the snow. some custom mounts could bolt right to the wheel hubs. have fun !! johnboy va.

+ Reply to Thread