Hustler 960-hk

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hustler 960-hk

Hustler 960-hk

Picked up a hustler this past Friday. It was dark when I looked at it, but still brought it home. In the light, I got the pleasure of seeing all inner and outer bearings were long gone, and the axles are worn where the bearing sits.
    I'm guessing I'll be picking up a box of bearings sometime soon. And 20 feet of chain. Big question is though, is have any of yall fixed worn axles? I was thinking some sort of bushing, but finding a bushing for each shaft whose wear is at different stages doesn't seem like an easy task.

Again everyone, thank you for your input and assistance. It is very much appreciated.
    Meep Meep

Depending on the wear jbweld could work for you.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    I've welded the bearing grooves then machined them back to diameter, also welded them back together and turned them then drilled the sprocket bolt holes back in when I broke them. If you have a lathe or a machine shop buddy, that would be the best repair, otherwise JB weld is amazing stuff. The only problem I had with the broken ones after repair was that I didn't learn the first few times that installing a dozer blade on a 950 only gives you a 950 with a dozer blade. lol Also you could post a wanted add here on the site, surely someone has a couple spares laying around. Or if you want to go all out, one of the best upgrades you could do to a Hustler is to purchase a set of Whippers splined axles, WAAAAY better than the stock axles!
    DESTRUCTION is just a couple of vowels down the street from DISTRACTION

Alright, finally got my max driving, so I started working on the hustler. Took an axle off, which was surprisingly easy considering the amount of surface rust on the shaft. Turns out all my outer bearings are good, but the inners are totally trashed. Luckily, the bearing seized on the shaft, and kept the frame from wearing away the important part of the axle. Drug it out of the garage with the Max, jacked up the back, and hosed it out for a good hour. Found screw drivers, an ancient drive belt, living earth worms and a squirrel nest in it, a hell of a ton of chewed up nuts in different stages of decay, and some acorns that had started to sprout. There's still a while ton of dirt, rust, nuts and who knows what else in there. I may end up pulling the frame to finish getting everything out.

Heading out to get new bearings and chains right now. The work this machine needs is definitely cut out for me.
    Meep Meep

I'm not too familiar with the hustlers, what exactly is the hustler 960-hk?
    Meep Meep

Got new bearings, and am in the process of installing them. Front driver sprocket came off easy, front passenger isn't quite as willing. Hope I don't have to cut it, had enough of that doing just once on the max.
    I'm assuming there's not any information out there on the 960-hk models. But as for the one I have, it appears to be a factory split shift, operated via two lever actuated cables. Has 21 inch tires. Not a tall body or anything else that seems special about it though.
    Last edited by garrett1308; 01-25-2016 at 07:32 PM.
    Meep Meep

Is your hustlers body fiberglass? what engine? and are you positive it is a 960? My 945hk had a foil tag on the gas tank.
    Hustler 945hk and Extended width Sidewinder

It's got a plastic body, I have no idea what engine it came with though, some one put in a 12 horse Tecumseh. And yes, I am positive it is a 960-hk. It has a sheet metal tag on the right side of the upper body next to the choke cable plunger. The serial number starts with 1075-13, the rest is ripped off, though the second digit after the 3 is a 1.
    Meep Meep

Some of the more informed members may now better but I believe you may have the only 960 on this site.Please post some pics.
    Hustler 945hk and Extended width Sidewinder

Meep Meep

+ Reply to Thread