Just got a Hustler..

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just got a Hustler..

Just got a Hustler..

I just got my first 6x6, its a Hustler in pretty good shape except it has no motor. What would be my best route to go to get it going?? Thanks.

Congratulations on picking up your Hustler. I think the best route for you is to get a motor. Decide what you want to repower it with and drop it in. What model Hustler did you get and what kind of motor was originally in it? Do you have the CVTs for both the transmission and the motor?

Make makes some good points and asks a great question. Another good question is what so you want it to do. Do you want a trail machine that climbs like a beast and can pull a good load on a trailer or are you more into going fast? With a 4-stroke, you will be lucky if you can go 25mph, but it will do about 18mph through almost anything and pull like no body's business. If you have the clutches, you may want to just go with something similar to what was there. There is a good chance it was a 2-stroke originally, and you may want to keep it that way. They are much faster than a 4-stroke as well as much noisier. They also don't have the low end torque. Your options are only limited by your budget and ability to find deals on the required parts. I have built both 2 and 4 stroke machines. My 2-stroker is a race only machine and is a blast, but doesn't see near the use my big 4-stroker does. It's got a plow for the winter and takes the whole family into the woods in the spring, summer, and fall.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

CVT,only the trans,I don't know what the original motor was, its a four seater, I don't know what the model is. I'm thinking of just getting a wrecked snowmobile for the motor and clutch but I don't know what size(cc's) would be the best..Or should i buy a 4 stroke Briggs or Honda? I have a lot of learning to do so be patient with me if my questions seem goofy..

Drew, I guess I would like an all around ride, not looking for speed, I have a Can Am for that, just something for tooling around the cabin, and down the beach to the lake now and then..

If you can post a couple of pictures model info may follow, engine as Drew wrote is as to a preference of a go fast machine or a go all day machine. Fabrication work will probably be required down either route.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Tag is hard to read but model looks to be 880 HK. Don't know the year but first two of the serial number is 83, could that be the year? As far as use, I would like an all day machine over go fast,, fab work isn't a problem..

So a fiberglass 880HK probably had a Kohler 440 2 stroke ( unless I'm dyslexic on the letters and it was a Hirth). You'll need a green or red spring for the driven clutch, a 4 stroke of your choice and a 4 stroke drive clutch to start, either a 780 style or a Comet 94c, using a commonly accessible belt is a plus, plus a bunch of misc. like wiring etc..

What color(s) is it? Does it have a jet pump ( nozzle sticking out of lower rear)? There are more than a few members on here with the 880's, check out the Hustler gallery.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

No jet pump, was painted camo...What size 4 stroke would I want, I assume I would get a 1 inch shaft.

Anything 14hp or more will move it around fine. Just make sure whatever you go with fits. It's been a while since I have had an 880 and I don't remember much about the engine compartment. My memories are of how tight the t-20 area was.
    l like to buy stuff and no I don't do payments!

+ Reply to Thread