Chain tensioner and shaft..

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chain tensioner and shaft..

Chain tensioner and shaft..

First off I am completely new to 6x6 I just inherited a 945 HK when my brother inlaw passed and want to fix it for the kids. It has the 16 hp kohler and I just fixed it. I know the chains and chain tensioners are missing along with the bar that connects to the right stick to the T20. My question is what do I use for the tensioners and where do I get them and where do they go.. need some pictures. The shaft is missing. The threaded end is still on the T20 so need to build another shaft and need to know the thread size and where to get the end that fits on the steering stick. Wish there was a better service manual on this machine. Thanks for the help..

If someone can tell us if the 945HK and the 950 have the same idler and steering control system I can get some pics of mine since it's all to pieces right now.

All my research has said they are the same.

Ok good. I have attached some pics from my machine. Keep in mind I have no idea if my equipment is original or not, but here's what I have..

The idlers (tensioners) attach to the channel shaped pieces welded to the frame. There should be 2 located near the front side of the T20 mount, two in front of the center axles, and two behind the center axles. There will be an additional channel on the rear of the frame for a torsion bar that connect to the transmission. This one has nothing to do with chain tension. Here's what the channel looks like.Idler channel 2.jpgIdler channel.jpg

The idlers are a 1 1/2 inch x 1 1/2 inch nylon cylinder that rides on a 1/2 inch bolt. The bolt screws into a piece of flat metal that is designed to lock into the inside ears of the channel. On the right hand rear the setup is a bit different in that the roller attaches to a seperate channel which then attaches to another channel.

Here's what the two types of idlers look like. Idlers (1).jpg

And here's how the idler and channel assembles (without the roller in the way) Idler and channel.jpg Note that the bolt passes through the small threaded plate and binds against the back of the channel to hold it all in place. The roller just free-wheels on the bolt, which is a 1/2 inch bolt by the way.

As you may know, the idler should run against the slack side of the chain, which would be the top side of middle-to-front axle chain, and the bottom side of the middle-to back axle chain. This would also be the top side of the chain from the T20 to the middle axle. Of course, in reverse all these idlers are subject to tension.

Finally, for your transmission linkage, My threaded joint utilizes a 3/8 fine thread, or 24 threads per inch. One side of the linkage is longer than the other because the steering laterals are set one in front of the other. You should be able to take the one you have and determine the necessary length of the other based on this difference. Should be an inch or so.

Let me know if you need any further details. My machine is all to pieces right now.

Now that is a awesome answer to my question.. thank you. I will see what else I need. Thanks

Just to add to dirt's response, I took some pictures of my 950's tensioners. They are in need of some repairing, but are a good example of how they look when installed. These nylon rollers are indeed the factory style. If you search the Hustler section, some members have fabricated alternate designs that do a better job and last longer.

IMG_20160412_152358182[1].jpgIMG_20160412_152319129[1].jpgIMG_20160412_152307446[1].jpgIMG_20160412_152249064[1].jpg
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

Paw inlaw can make the nylon ones for me so prob just do that. But thanks keep the pictures coming.

Also, I would think that any kind of ball joint would work on the shaft at the steering end. I imagine a steering joint from a riding lawn mower would fit in that spot, but you may be able to find something on McMaster Carr like the "Ball Joint Linkages" in the link below.

McMaster-Carr
    Borrowing tools is for the weak.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2000 Max IV, 25hp Kohler Command, 26" Titan Tru Power AT's
    1996 Max IV, 18hp Briggs, 24" Serwas
    1998 Max IV (project in waiting)
    1995/1999 Max II, 16hp Briggs, 21" Rawhides
    Hustler 950 (Project in waiting)

Quote Originally Posted by xbunsenx View Post
    Just to add to dirt's response, I took some pictures of my 950's tensioners. They are in need of some repairing, but are a good example of how they look when installed. These nylon rollers are indeed the factory style. If you search the Hustler section, some members have fabricated alternate designs that do a better job and last longer.

Attachment 14613Attachment 14614Attachment 14615Attachment 14616
    Ok so they can be sprockets also or am I missing more than I thought. I don't have the sprockets that you have in your pictures either.

Ok the funny looking tensioner is it on bothis sides or just one. It appears that I have one of them on the passengers side but not on drivers. And none of the others.

+ Reply to Thread