Hustler 950 running slow

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hustler 950 running slow

Take a look at the video Buggyman shot of his CVTs cycling through their range on his big Max II. http://www.6x6world.com/forums/transmissions/25160-cvt-test-run.html

The drive belt should run all the way up the shoulder on the primary clutch when the vehicle reaches top speed. If you can't safely watch it while driving, take a black marker and draw a line on one of the drive clutch sheaves from the top of the belt to the outside of the clutch. The belt will wear away the marker (or at least some of it) during its cycling. If you still have a lot of line on the clutch sheave after a test drive, it's likely that the drive clutch is restricted in some way. If you're only running 2 out of 3 rollers for example, the clutch won't cycle through its range.

That is it. The primary clutch is only closing about a half inch at most. after looking at it more carefully the secondary clutch isn't really moving either. I believe the secondary clutch is triggered by the primary? Seems like the rpms are high enough So I don't think that is an issue. The primary clutch is a Comet Duster. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks.

Advice? Take the primary clutch off and disassemble it to find out what's wrong. It might be that somebody just threw that clutch on the machine and it's not calibrated for this application whatsoever. The Duster doesn't use rollers, just weights/pucks and a spring. Take a look at the clutch's innards. That's the starting point.

...also if the secondary is stuck, it won't allow the primary to work. lube the shaft area inside of the spring with some dry graphite spray.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

You read my mind. I was pondering this on my way to work this morning. My plan is to take the primary and belt off and check the secondary to see if I can work it closed. If that closes up ok, I'll take a look at the primary. I'm assuming I need to take the belt off to be able to see if it will close manually. thanks.

I am pretty sure it is the secondary. I am thinking I should be able to twist and push it together at least a little. But I can't get it to budge at all. I sprayed it up and but it just will not compress. There is not a lot of tension on the spring. I can push the spring is slightly with just my finger so I am thinking I should be able to push it in. Any suggestions on how to get it unstuck? thanks.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-12-2016 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks for the info but unfortunately I have no idea. Shoot I'd be happy if it went 20-25. It seems like there are so many options for clutches,weights, green, pink, black and who knows what other color springs. I just wish I could find someone to look at the thing. I might try to find a local snowmobile dealer and see if they can look at the clutches.

Last edited by whipper-ag; 07-12-2016 at 03:55 PM.

If your machine is in fact a 950, and the T-20/ clutch have never been transplanted then it should be set up for a 4 stroke (probably a green spring). It requires 3 hands, but if you can twist the inner face while holding the outer stationary so that the ramps seperate, then have a helper carefully try to pry the clutch open. If you do get it open, have them use their free hand to spray more lube on the center shaft. If you can't get it open like this, you will need to remove the trany from the machine, remove the clutch and then tear it down to find the problem
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread