The suburban Hustler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: The suburban Hustler

Can't wait to see the finished product. Nice Work!

Looking good.

Ha, that's funny- I just watched a Mud Ox video from Busco Beach earlier today and the guy kept yelling "John Boy", so I assume that's you!

Man O man. I just spent $800 on parts and shipping to rebuild this T20. The poor third world children that could have fed... Geez.
    When I cracked that thing open it looked just like the scene in Titanic when he pulls that safe out of the ocean and opens it up- and all the mud and old money that spilled out. Yeah, minus the money. There was about an ounce of dirty water/atf in it. Then mud. BUT, I only need bands. And all the seals and clips and thrust washers. I got a red spring clutch too.

Poor hungry African kids.

that was me sean being yelled at in the video !! it is a great time if you ever feel inclined to come. speaking of the titanic, i have a couple of genuine rivets from the ship i aquired when big huge pieces of the titanic that had been brought up were being restored in the warehouse that i had my shop in. it's amazing to hold them in your hand and think of their history..... have fun and your machine is super ! johnboy va.

That's cool! I love the history.

I finished the trans rebuild a few weeks ago. I put to good use the free sandbasting cabinet I got from the shop. Before/after:

After the mass cleanup:

The last couple weeks I've been pecking away at the body and paint work on the tub halves. What a chore trying to get all that texture out of the plastic. I've sanded the whole thing with 80 grit on a DA sander, filled all the holes with fiberglass (because the plastic weld technique was undesirable in every way), then back over everything with 180. Then a very heavy coat of 2K primer, sanded with 180 again and primered again, then sanded with 400 for paint. I've got the bottom painted on the outside so far. After I flipped the tub I realized just how bashed up the bottom of the Hustler gets, so I decided that paint alone was not enough for a good job. I partially feel like I was robbed, but for $190 the Rhinoliner looks awesome. It's nice and thick too. I am thrilled that it filled in all the gouges that were there. Tomorrow I'll spray the inside of the bottom half of the tub gloss gray and the frame epoxy black. Then I can start putting the chassis back together! Whew!

This is the fiberglass filler I mentioned in another post:

Glossy gray bottom:

Rhinoliner that looks like Line-X, which I like better than regular Rhinoliner!:

Wow that looks good!

Today the Hustler finally was at the top of my priority list. I had hoped to get the engine and transmission in, but those aspirations were a little bit of a stretch. I was able to get the axles and chains in last weekend. That was a huge deal to get it rolling on it's tires again AND to have it all caulked up. I painted the handlebars and control bars this week at the shop. All that went in today, too.

During my trans install today I discovered that one of the four trans mounting holes was stripped out. A trip to Ace got a set of 7/16 bolts. Once it was drilled and tapped I was glad I was kinda forced to do it. They seem much more substantial than the 3/8" that were in there. The reverse linkage was also a bear to get working and adjusted. It turns out that one of the shift turn-arm things was actually spun 15 degrees or so, so I had to press it out and press it back in correctly. NOW everything seems to work well...

Next time on "the Suburban Hustler" I'll be removing the governor from the Predator 670 and installing a remote oil filter, and HOPEFULLY getting the engine in there for good!

Happy with how this all turned out. VERY strong and rigid. I sprayed the frame flat black with clear coat speckled on to hide the rust pitting.

Harbor Freight motorcycle lift table makin' it happen.

How many different textures and finishes of black can there be...?

Home at last! I'm glad I took the time to sandblast the case halves, even if they got dingy again.

I went back and forth about what color to do these. Slick and sparkly black it was. I'm fully expecting to have to put some clear vinyl tape down the sides to protect against scratches from muddy shoes.

Looks clean for now...

Getting parts off of the storage shelves and into their permanent places makes me very happy.

The more I look at those handlebar grips the more I hate them... I'm pretty sure all the red will get blacked out before it's all said and done.

And...

It's been A YEAR since I started this build. Man, doing this kind of stuff with kids is so different than without. I remember being younger and confused when I'd hear about guys taking years to build a car. I used to build a car in a couple months! Well... now I know. Children. And a garden. And chickens. And weeds. I feel like I come home from work just to get to work again!
    It's awesome, though. I'm extremely grateful for the time I do have AND looking forward to my almost-two-year-old son being old enough to help with projects and not just poke everything with a philips head screwdriver. Is it bad that I'm already looking over Craigslist for his first project car? Haaaaahaha!
    Last edited by SeanD; 06-03-2017 at 07:34 PM.

Thank you, PHOTOBUCKET, for cleaning up the years of my internet presence on numerous car sites... haahaaaaaa. Oh man.

Well, thankfully I can just upload my junk here!

Anyhow,
    PAINT!

Top is painted

I finally gave up on "acquiring a taste" for the grips that were pink but supposed to be red. These are mo' better.

Engine is in. Trans is in. Seats are in. Battery is in and wired. So close... So close.

Here you can see the oil filter relocating kit. Bracket is tied into battery tray brackets and then double sided taped. It's good. MAN, that thing leaked a couple quarts of oil all down into the tub before I realized that there was an interference between the Predator oil filter area and the relocator kit keeping it from sealing on the O ring. AARRGH!!! Cut off wheel. Grinder. Clean. Fixed.

Wiring up the quick connects for the front-and-back winch. These things are pretty cool. Now I just need to figure a way to cleanly get them through the tub.

I've never seen these before but Amazon had them. They're self-adhesive zip tie posts. Perfect for the Hustler. ZIP TIES! All the wiring will get loomed before the top goes on.

This is by far one of the cleanest builds I've ever seen on a 6x6... That black top is so gorgeous I've got to ask, what did you do to make sure the paint will stay adhered to the HDPE? Burn off the waxy coating, flexible additive in the paint? I've gotta know your secrets for the body I'm going to swap onto my machine.

+ Reply to Thread