Hustler speed problem

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Hustler speed problem

Hustler speed problem

I bought a hustler 980 a while back it has a 18hp briggs vangaurd on it and it only runs about 12mph what should the top speed be on this machine

Not sure what the top speed is supposed to be, but 12mph seems too low. My hustler 950 runs much faster. Some things to check...
    Belt condition and tension
    Engine performance - is the engine running as strong as it should
    Engine speed - Is the engine governed and thus prevented from reaching enough RPM to shift the clutches?
    Make sure the clutches are functioning properly - that they will cycle through their travel.

The engine is brand new it does have a governor on it the clutches seems to be working ,do you now how to measure for the correct belt length and thanks for the quick reply

This link is to a thread I started for a problem I was having. It transitions to another member with an engine speed problem. This may help you make sure you have the correct engine speed.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...ication-5.html

Here's another thread that includes a discussion and a link embedded to a document that will help you with the belt length.
    http://www.6x6world.com/forums/trans...on-coot-2.html

Think I might have found my problem my belt that was on it wasn't but 13/16 wide

That certainly can be a problem. When you get the correct belt and properly tensioned, you should have about 1 inch of deflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Davo81 View Post
    Think I might have found my problem my belt that was on it wasn't but 13/16 wide
    BINGO !

If I wrap a piece of string around the base of the primary clutch and the outside of the secondary and add two inches will that give me the measurement for a new drive belt

Davo,

Your question seems to indicate that you haven't read the information I provided to you in post 4. Go to the second link I provided to you in post number 4 above. It will take you to a publication that, on the 6th page, not counting the cover, gives you the belt part number based on your center-to-center distance (for 780 clutch series).

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Davo,

Your question seems to indicate that you haven't read the information I provided to you in post 4.
    This is assuming we know his secondary clutch diameter. Rather than get locked into a part number, just measure things the old-fashioned way and get hard numbers to use in the belt lookup. Here's a post from an earlier thread for a fellow that had the same issue:

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    A real easy way to get you close to the right starting length is to simply measure it with a flexible (fabric) tape measure. Put the belt that's too long on the machine, make sure it fits well on the two clutches by just holding it by hand or putting a couple zip ties around it (between the clutches, so it's squeezing the belt tight on the two clutches. At this point, you can take the tape measure and figure out how long the actual belt needs to be by essentially "making" the belt with the tape measure. I loop it around the bottom of the clutches (over the top of the zip-tied, too-loose belt) and then pull it tight on the top and get the measurement. Make sure the engine is moved the entire way forward in its adjustment before you do it. You can add a 1/4' to a 1/2" in the measurement just to be safe. I do this each time I put a custom machine together, since I'm not smart enough to use the center-to-center/pulley diameter method.

Here are links to a couple pictures showing excerpts from the Dayco belt catalog with dimensional data and part numbers. Make sure you get the right top width, too. There's a .pdf of this in the brochures section, but I can never download it correctly.

+ Reply to Thread