22 HP Predator in a Hustler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 22 HP Predator in a Hustler

22 HP Predator in a Hustler

Hey fellow Hustler owners. I have a question. I am considering the 22 horse predator for my Hustler 950. My current engine has some problems....but I'll create another post on that.

My question is this: Will the 22 horse predator fit in the engine bay without having to chop up the engine cover? If someone out there has a machine with a predator, could you take some pics and give me an idea of clearances between the top of the engine and the engine cover hinge support brace?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Hey fellow Hustler owners. I have a question. I am considering the 22 horse predator for my Hustler 950. My current engine has some problems....but I'll create another post on that.

My question is this: Will the 22 horse predator fit in the engine bay without having to chop up the engine cover? If someone out there has a machine with a predator, could you take some pics and give me an idea of clearances between the top of the engine and the engine cover hinge support brace?

Thanks in advance.
    Hello Dirtdobber. I have a 980 tall tub with a 23hp Kohler in it, PLENTY of space for a v-twin. I know that a 950 is shorter than 980 tall tub, but I'm sure that someone has put a twin in one before. If I am correct, the 22 hp Predator has the same mount bolt pattern as a Briggs, and it can't be that much taller if any than any Briggs or Kohler V-twin. You can always measure the inside height of your Hustler to the underside of the engine cover, and compare your measurements to the measurements posted of the 22 hp Predator on the Harbor Freight Website. I seriously don't think that you will have any issues, but it is of course worth the research!! Good luck buddy and I hope that it works, cause I've seen that Predator in a few machines on rides, and it is for sure a confident and reliable performer!!
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Thanks Fmints. I'm currently running an opposed twin, not a V twin. Even the opposed stands pretty tall such that the air cleaner cover is only about 1/8 of an inch from the engine cover hinge brace. BUT, I have the opposed mounted a little higher to create more tub clearance with the slope of the back of the tub. And, it is probably set back further than a V twin would have to be.

I didn't see any details on the HF website. If all else fails, I'll swing by HF and take some measurements from the display model.

I have a Hustler 950 with a 21HP B&S, I will do some measuring today and get back, however I think it should fit. Meanwhile you may want to research the height of the Predator vs the B&S.

Here is the update on the B&S, it measures: 12.52"L, 16.02" W, 17.68"High, there is about a 1.5" gap from the top of the breather to the bottom of the engine cover. There are several inches to play with in length and width. I couldn't find any size dimensions regarding the Predator 22, so you may have to make a trip to Harbor Freight and take measurements.

I placed a couple of digitals in my gallery for the Hustler 950. I think you will be ok as several folks have fitted these in Max2 machines without much effort. The 950 has a body line in the upper body that could serve to mount a spacer in if you needed a bit more clearance.
    Last edited by Noel Woods; 04-24-2017 at 10:17 AM.

Thank you Noel. That is helpful. I will swing by HF

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdobber View Post
    Thank you Noel. That is helpful. I will swing by HF
    Base it off this, HF forgot this in the manual, I got rid of the box.

http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/.../gx670draw.jpg

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Base it off this, HF forgot this in the manual, I got rid of the box
    Thanks Jim. That's a handy piece of information. That motor is 18 inches tall, which is about 2 inches taller than my opposed. I"m going to stick the opposed back together and run it until it blows! Quite frankly, it will probably run forever.

+ Reply to Thread