Sidewinder on Tracks

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sidewinder on Tracks

Sidewinder on Tracks

I would like to rebuild my Sidewinder (Hustler 950 copy) to run tracks full time. My use is to run across swampy ground in route to my cabin. I would load heavy and pull a trailer with materials and supplies. Dragging cut logs/firewood would be another task. Looking to make the Sidewinder a reliable pulling machine. I don’t need it to swim. My open water crossing is 50’ max across and 3 foot deep. I need to be able to crawl up the steep creek bank, often over a small ice ledge and across frozen ground.

Currently:
    The Sidewinder is a later production poly body.
    18 HP I/C Briggs. Compression at 115 lbs. each hole. Date code shows manufactured 1990. I believe it’s original.
    T-20 rebuilt by D2Max (Mark – msafi65).
    Enhanced T-20 supports.
    New secondary with red spring.
    Keyed 1 ¼ axles with Martin sprockets. 12 new bearings and flanges.
    The machine is disassembled. The frame has cleaned and primed.

Considering:
    Whipper splined axles with a 40 tooth sprocket. Longer axles to clear tracks. How much longer? Any options for bearing cages like Max or Argo?
    If more power is required to turn the tracks, a new 23 HP Briggs is an option. Does the 630 /690 Honda have more usable power? I would prefer not to replace the primary clutch but….
    Channel tracks.
    Beefed up hitch/tow points. Possibly rear winch.

What would you do if setting up this machine? What am I missing?
    Last edited by Coldfoot; 06-08-2017 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfoot View Post

I would like to rebuild my Sidewinder (Hustler 950 copy) to run tracks full time. My use is to run across swampy ground in route to my cabin. I would load heavy and pull a trailer with materials and supplies. Dragging cut logs/firewood would be another task. Looking to make the Sidewinder a reliable pulling machine. I don’t need it to swim. My open water crossing is 50’ max across and 3 foot deep. I need to be able to crawl up the steep creek bank, often over a small ice ledge and across frozen ground.

Currently:
    The Sidewinder is a later production poly body.
    18 HP I/C Briggs. Compression at 115 lbs. each hole. Date code shows manufactured 1990. I believe it’s original.
    T-20 rebuilt by D2Max (Mark – msafi65).
    Enhanced T-20 supports.
    New secondary with red spring.
    Keyed 1 ¼ axles with Martin sprockets. 12 new bearings and flanges.
    The machine is disassembled. The frame has cleaned and primed.

Considering:
    Whipper splined axles with a 40 tooth sprocket. Longer axles to clear tracks. How much longer? Any options for bearing cages like Max or Argo?
    If more power is required to turn the tracks, a new 23 HP Briggs is an option. Does the 630 /690 Honda have more usable power? I would prefer not to replace the primary clutch but….
    Channel tracks.
    Beefed up hitch/tow points. Possibly rear winch.

What would you do if setting up this machine? What am I missing?
    I would consider finding out more about this, if you could run 25 or 26's with tracks your floatation would be higher along with the dreaded Hustler hump.

If not 26's you could probably get near 24's with enough extension.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Any options for bearing cages like Max or Argo?

+ Reply to Thread