Briggs & Stratton

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Briggs & Stratton

Looks like a Sidewinder. Distinctive Sidewinder colors.

You are definitely missing the air filter. That is a Briggs opposed twin engine and if it is set up like mine, it is also missing the disc shaped cover that fits immediately on top of the air filter. Then, the square top cover (which you have) fits on top of the air filter housing. So it goes like this: air filter housing base (attached to carb, which you have), then air filter, then air filter cover, then a hold down nut, then the housing cover (which you have), then another hold down nut.

It bothers me to no end that people butcher the bodies of these machines. It can be fixed.

air cleaner.jpgHere's an illustration of the air cleaner setup:

Looks like I have the air intake back together correctly.

Can someone give me a few thoughts on how to actually start and drive these things. Specifically starting it. Is there a choke or a way to properly engage anything to fire it? Then specially as it relates to the transmission. Is there a gear shifter knob/parking brake, etc.? Common since would tell me how to go forward and turn etc but a walk though would be forever appreciated, as we did not get our owners manual!! Thanks.

Looking at this picture, the handle in the center of machine pointing up is the parking brake ( which may not work) and looked to be in the off position in photo, the handle to the left is the shifter ( looks like neutral in photo) up is reverse then neutral then all the way down is forward. You can watch the transmission shifter diamonds on top of the trans to confirm, diamond straight across is neutral, pointed forward is forward and back is reverse.

It looks like the choke cable may be tucked under the body in this picture and it heads to the indent in the body where it would be normally, next to the switches.

As far as starting, place in neutral apply the choke, turn the key and apply throttle if necessary. As far as driving in forward you have to Push the sticks forward to go and back to stop, one stick controls each side of transmission, to go backwards place shifter in reverse and Pull Back on sticks to go and Push forward to stop. You may and probably will have to rock the machine back and forth to get the trans to shift, it may also take a small burp of the throttle, but you always want to try to shift at IDLE as gear clash will occur if engine is at higher rpms. If there is a fuel shut off valve be sure it is on and you have gas.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Well. We rebuilt our trottle cable, and we re-assembled the air filter. The group that checked this motor over installed an inline fuel filter. Anyway we finally granted this thing and it turned over. I did notice though that we weren't getting fuel into that filter. This thing has a mopar fuel pump installed... I think. So we tapped the brakes on our efforts. We are happy it simply wanted to fire. I'm going to call the shop that did the work.

So dumb question. Inside the air intake there is what looks like a flapper valve. It doesn't move in my case though, with the throttle. Is that normal?

The upper "flapper" is the choke plate, lower is throttle. An automotive fuel pump probably has too much pressure.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

By any chance does anyone have a picture of the throttle body setup. Specifically how the springs attach to the throttle parts on the throttle body. My springs are missing and we have two new ones on order. I want to install them properly. Thanks.

RickM your pictures disappeared. Post a picture of your carb so we can see what you have.

Actually I muddled through it. I still however cannot for the life of me get this thing running. It seams that the motor is stabile but everything else is suspect. This is the order of our troubles.
    1. Got throttle sorted, and every time we gave it gas it would die.
    2. New spark Plugs, changed oil. Went to start and quickly fuel issue popped up.
    3. Changed entire fuel hose lines, drained the tank and refilled with 93 oct. No fuel pressure
    4. Put in a 1-2 psi fuel pump, and it runs but still no fuel pressure.

I am thinking I need to get it running possibly off an aux tank and then figure out the fuel line issue. This is frustrating as 1 step forward = 2 back.

+ Reply to Thread