Stalled project resurrected

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stalled project resurrected

Stalled project resurrected

Hello everyone,

First post here after lots of information gathering from the forum. So I have a Hustler 6x6 that I was given about a decade ago. As a 20 year old I was attending automotive trade school. I promptly started dismantling the machine as it was missing engine and all the axles were frozen. One I had to cut in half just to get the thing out.

Long story short, the hustler sat on the side of my moms house for the next 10 years, all in pieces. Over the years, alot of the small pieces like nuts and bolts and whatever else have all disappeared. I do have all the main components to get this thing back to its former glory, however, there are some challenges to overcome. I have attached some pics of what I have, and will follow up with the plan, questions and progress if any is made.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Fraserfab; 11-27-2017 at 04:07 PM.

So the plan for this machine is to try and get it together using everything I already have, spending as little money as possible, while still having a useable machine at the end. I have a kohler 20 hp twin to go in it. I assume the tires/wheels are the original ones, they dont hold air for more than a few days and will eventually be replaced for larger tires/wheels, but will be used for mockup and initial testing.

The frame was sandblasted and primed/painted and I am ready to start mocking up the engine. The original mounting plate looks to be in original condition, so i will need to modify it to accept the kohler engine. I am wondering what hardware or bushings are to be used to mount the plate to the frame. It has large flared holes in the corners,I assume to accept some sort of rubber Vibration dampners. Can somebody fill me in?
    Attached Images

I should note that I have already bought all new bearings, retainers and chain from Buffalo Bearing as recommended by this forum.

The other big hurdle to get over is the clutch. I did receive what I assume to be the original clutch. It is rusted solid and I have found rebuild kits for it, but it has a tapered shaft. The shaft on the engine is straight with a keyway. I am wondering if i can have a machinist hog out the shaft on the clutch and make it work with the Kohler engine. I think this will be much cheaper than buying a new one. Let me know what you guys think.

Hey Fraserfab welcome to the club. Congrats on your motivation to rebuild the Hustler. Here's some info for you:

The engine mount did have rubber mounts. You might check Richards Relics to see if he has them, or you may be able to use a similar mount from McMaster-Carr, something like this https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-r...ounts/=1ag1ny1. As you prepare for the engine swap, you will be well served if you modify the mount to give yourself some front-t-back adjustment in the engine. This will be helpful in fine tuning the belt tension so you can get the most out of the clutches.

I have read threads indicating that guys have had their tapered shaft clutch machined to fit a straight shaft.

Also, while the frame it out, check it carefully for cracks and you should go ahead and fabricate reinforcement mounts for the T-20. The original four slotted holes that hold the T-20 in place are not enough to resist the tourque and ultimately the transmission may twist out of the mount. You can fashion a more rigid mount that reaches the top bolt holes for the diamond shifter hold-down strap.

Good luck and keep the pics coming!

Oh man I was worried no one was going to chime in. Thanks for the response. I looked the frame over for cracks after blasting and before paint. Didn’t see any, hope I didn’t miss any. Where are the main stress points to look at? I tried finding a good Wright up on the t20 bracing but couldn’t find one that showed the detail of where to tie in to. What is the diamond shifter hold down?

Diamond shifter hold down is essentially a piece of angle iron that bolts to either side of your transmission to keep your shifters from popping out while driving. Can take some pictures tomorrow if you want
    Meep Meep

I dont think i have those but I have some 1-1/2 angle if I need to make some. Pics would be great.

Oh man! Your axles are already out, so it's pretty much all downhill from here! Haaha! 3 of the 6 were rusted to the sprockets on mine. That looks like a fun kit to bang together in a weekend.

I would just get a new clutch. A poor fitting and poor working clutch is going to make or break the fun you'll have in that Hustler. I picked up about 15 mph (no lie) by putting in a new clutch. Mine was (shocker) also rusted together, so the trans couldn't get up to full spin. The machine shop bill is going to be almost half of the cost of a whole new unit, right?

+ Reply to Thread