A New Hustler Owner

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: A New Hustler Owner

QT,

Here are some pics of my transmission linkage along with enough dimensions to rebuild your. The good news is you can just add on where the old parts were cut off.

Shift dimensions.pdf
    20180213_195919[1].jpg20180213_200039[1].jpg20180213_200009[1].jpg

I also sketched for you what the factory split shift arrangement looks like. It's simple enough and I think you will get the idea. You need two shifters, though.
    Split Shift.pdf

I have a couple more pics I'll have to add in a new thread.

more pics of my shift linkage
    20180213_200401[1].jpg20180213_200436[1].jpg

One of these pics is what my shifter looks like.

Another modification you should consider while you are building is beefing up the mounts for the transmission. Currently, your transmission is held in place with 4 bolts and slotted holes. In a high torque situation, the trans can twist out of its mount. If you will notice in my pics, I have a piece angle iron that runs from the shift linkage supports (1/4 x 2 flat iron) and captures the top two bolts. It also holds the diamond shifters in place.

Two other things I see missing are the seat support, which crosses above and just forward of the transmission (its in my pics) and the bracket that connects the rear hitch to the frame. You want this bracket so that you have a solid connection point and not pull the hitch out of the plastic. It slipped over the engine mount bolt.

Does anyone have a drawing or some pictures of the shift levers that they would share? Dirtdobber mentioned a split shifter. Anyone have plans for that?
    Thanks!

The sketch I gave you in post #21 shows you how to arrange the linkage at the transmission. At the drivers compartment, you just need a second gear shifter and linkage.
    Some have mounted shifters side by side, and some have mounted them on either side of the machine. The best you can do is take the concept and design something that works for your machine. I doubt anyone is going to be able to give you precise instructions...but I could be wrong.

I have a parts machine that is set up with the factors split shift, but I can't get to it right now to take pics. Maybe over the weekend I can.

I have a chance to get a Kohler 25hp. It has a 1 1/8 inch shaft. Is that an issue?
    Last edited by qtband; 02-14-2018 at 04:19 PM.

I'm not sure. If you currently have a driven clutch it will be a 1 in bore, so you may be able to have it machined to 1 1/8. If you have to buy a new driven clutch, check for compatibility with your existing driven clutch. Someone with more clutch knowledge than I will hopefully chime in. But, if you can put 25 horses in it that would be great!

I only have a driven, no driver. I'd have to find a 1 1/8" bore driver without breaking the bank.

Looks like a no-go on the 25hp Kohler. I did end up purchasing an 18hp Vanguard engine that should serve me well. I will probably start a build post when I get things rolling in a few weeks. I am going to need help....

Qt here are some pics of a factory split shift.
    20180317_094840.jpg20180317_094858.jpg20180317_094914.jpg

Thank you dirtdobber! Anything helps.

+ Reply to Thread