Differance in Hustler models?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Differance in Hustler models?

I found the model number on the early hustler I just brought home. There is a sticker on top of the CCW engine where I can barely make out the word hustler. I wiped it off and found the numbers stamped in the sticker real small. It's a real thin aluminum sticker. Model # 880-J. I assume the J is added for the jet.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug3 View Post
    ( QUOTE ) "And the Hustler 980 BIGFOOT was made in two configurations, one tub that was tall to fit 26" tires and another tub that was even taller."

jpswift1

I got really lucky I guess , because I have one of each.
    My Hustler is now in several hundred peaces but I think it has room for plus size tires. It seems that there is more than ample room for the 26s on it now. Actually I believe the middle and rear tires would hit each other before tire height would cause them to hit the tub. How big of a tire do you guys run on the tall tub Hustler?

Quote Originally Posted by cclingma View Post
    My Hustler is now in several hundred peaces but I think it has room for plus size tires. It seems that there is more than ample room for the 26s on it now. Actually I believe the middle and rear tires would hit each other before tire height would cause them to hit the tub. How big of a tire do you guys run on the tall tub Hustler?

I believe the largest tire you can run on the Hustler 980 BIGFOOT would be 27". This may depend on the brand of tire and you would probably want to keep the air pressure around 2psi, but I think they would just about clear (refering to the distance between the middle and rear axles.) I would like to see what some 27x12x12 Super Swamper Vampires would do. It seems like there is tons of space in the lower body for very tall and wide tires. My 26x13x12 Super Swamper Vampire ASX's are nearly 14" wide at around 2psi and they fit fine with the stock Hustler axle/hub backspacing, without scrubbing on the lower body.

So now as far as Hustler models go, it is now confirmed that there are 6x6World members here with the following:

Hustler (unknown model number), fiberglass body, Kohler 309cc single, jackshaft/clutch style transmission.

Hustler 880, fiberglass body, CCW twin engine, T-20

Hustler 900, poly body, Kohler 440cc twin engine, T-20

Hustler 950, poly body, Kohler K341 single 16HP, and 18HP 694cc Briggs I/C twin engines, T-20.

Hustler 980 BIGFOOT, tall and very tall lower bodies, 18HP 694cc Briggs I/C twin engine, T-20.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Smile hustler

yep, i have one of the first origional ones,with the apex trans too

Oh yea that's right, Steve....the engine drives the Apex transmission which then transfers power to the jackshaft assembly. In this picture it looks like the gas tank is in the rear left corner of the machine. Is yours set up the same way? Let's see what we can figure out here.

http://www.6x6world.com/images/6x6-a...-article-3.jpg
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

early hustler

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Oh yea that's right, Steve....the engine drives the Apex transmission which then transfers power to the jackshaft assembly. In this picture it looks like the gas tank is in the rear left corner of the machine. Is yours set up the same way? Let's see what we can figure out here.

http://www.6x6world.com/images/6x6-a...-article-3.jpg
    Yes it is jp..

Quote Originally Posted by Amphiman1 View Post
    Yes it is jp..
    Hustler must have moved the gas tank to the front of the machine once they went to using the T-20 transmission.

narrow it down

the gas tank is in the front of mine (alumnium or however you spell it) the disc brake is mounted on the center axle ,the lever for the disc brake is on the far left, with the twin shifters located next in line, directly behind the steering sticks(if you were sitting in the machine)just a tad bit to the left of machine center .I have 22'' runamucks ,I dont see how anything bigger than 22"" would fit , it use to have 20"" tires, it also came with the kohler 440-ams 2 stroke motor with side mount exhaust, the only place it says hustler is on the metal plate where the key, factory cig lighter and clutch pull are located, mfg was in arkansas,there also was a head temp gauge in the dash,I think that was stock,and the luggage rack on the rear,anyone else have this exact setup?

Cool

Mine was the same but I went with a 4 stroke got rid of the 2 cycle kolher440
    lost the side exhaust and got rid of the disk brake on the axel if you hang up the tub the disk can cut the body if you spin the axel that is what happen to mine by the first owner and I had to repair it...I also have the disk brake caliper and I'm not going to use it so if anybody needs it make me an offer......

so are the 950 and 980 frames interchangeable?

+ Reply to Thread