Differance in Hustler models?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Differance in Hustler models?

Differance in Hustler models?

Hustler models???

I am curious, What is the difference between all the hustler models? Of coarse, 980 is BIG. But I mean 900,930,950... What is different between them all?

thats the million dollar question.......

...and the 880, 885, 900? I'm not sure, but I've found 880 models with stock CCW engines, 885 and 900s with Kohler 440s, 950s with Kohler 16hp four-strokes, and most of the 980s with Briggs i/c engines. other than the deeper bodies on the later units, I don't think theres any big differences outside the powerplants.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    If I got the correct story from Richard when I bought my sprockets from him,Hustler was always changing things and there are a gazillion different sprocket spacings and combinations.The only way to be sure I got the right ones was to send mine to him so he could compare them to what he had.All I know is that I got the right ones for mine.He bought all the inventory so it's either get them from him or do something completely different.Don't seem right somehow.I have heard that some guys buy Argo axles and convert them.I wonder if that is possible?

Hustlers

I've been wondering what all the models were too. I know there are three different body styles that I've seen--the early ones which were fiberglass and had two "bucket" seats in the back (my style), then there's the more common poly bodies with a bench across the back, and of course the big brother of them all the bigfoot.

Hope this helps, but as for model numbers, I'm not sure there...
    old school hustler
    02 superhawk

980 vs. 950

Okay so I'm a hustler nut. Had them as a young man and now that I'm a lot older..... well lets start with this..Please help me to understand what the significant differences in the 980 model and the 950 model hustler. My minds eye tells me that there is a definite difference between wheel and axle spacing, whhich leads me to believe that the frame is longer than the 63.5 inched 950. Friend tells me the only difference is the bottom tub and a 25" tire...I want to argue that.. but niether of us have seen a 980 outside pics here and there....help me, I hate it when he's right......

I have a Hustler 900 and I've found that other 900 owners have the 440 2 stroke Kohlers and the split shifters. This appears to be something in common between the 900 models.

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir
    The frames for the 980 and the 950 are the same length but the seat,shifter and such are higher on the 980 to allow for the extra heighth of the tub.The taller tub is of course for bigger tires.The rear and center axles are closer together than the center and front not sure why,maybe to help climb out of ponds or a balance thing I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by brushcutter View Post
    The frames for the 980 and the 950 are the same length but the seat,shifter and such are higher on the 980 to allow for the extra heighth of the tub.The taller tub is of course for bigger tires.The rear and center axles are closer together than the center and front not sure why,maybe to help climb out of ponds or a balance thing I guess.
    Exactly. As far as the discussion on the distance difference between the center and rear axles compared to the distance between the center and the front axles, I would say that you're right about the balance issue (in the water). If you look at the Max IV, it is set up the same way. I think it is because a majority of weight with the engine and transmission is way toward the rear of the vehicle. With the center and rear axles closer together the machine will float level in the water.

Also, I've seen 950 Hustlers with both the Kohler K341 16HP single and the Briggs I/C 694cc flat twin. And the Hustler 980 BIGFOOT was made in two configurations, one tub that was tall to fit 26" tires and another tub that was even taller.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

( QUOTE ) "And the Hustler 980 BIGFOOT was made in two configurations, one tub that was tall to fit 26" tires and another tub that was even taller."

jpswift1

I got really lucky I guess , because I have one of each.

+ Reply to Thread