Hustler axle problems.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hustler axle problems.

Unhappy Hustler axle problems.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting the sprocket assembly off of the axle shafts on an old hustler? I have tried everything I can think of and still can't get them to budge. So far I have gotten 2 of the 6 off but need to get the rest out to do some repair work on the chasis frame.

If they are stuck on the axle you could take the bolt out and use the motor to help break them free....

If they are spinning on the axle, but will not slip over the end...I'm kinda curious about that one also.

They seem to be seized onto the axle shaft. I've tried penetrating oil, pipe wrenches, hammer & punch and heating but can't get them to move. The only other thing I can think of is the cutting torch and trying to save either the axle or the sprockets.

Well, if you're motor and trans are still in place, you could try putting the chain back on that axle and somehow using the motor to break the axle free.

This is somewhat unique as a lot of times guys would drive around with the bolts out of the axles until they broke free. But you already have the other axles out. If you have not removed the outer bearings on the other axles, it would be a snap to put them back in without sprockets or chain and just drive in a straight line back and forth until it breaks free.

JPSwift will probably chime in later, he will have a better idea of what to do....

I had the same problem as you with my Max. I spent several hours trying to get the sprocket off. In the end I wish I would have just cut it sooner. I took an angle grinder and cut the sprocket tube.
    Attached Images

Finally gave up and took the sawzall to them. My brother looked at them and said he could machine me some new axles for nothing(He's the boss at a hydraulic's shop).

It sucks to have to do that but with a brother that can help you out like that you should be good to go again in no time. Thanks for the update.

Mr D,

It does suck to have to re-do all your axles, but on the upside you have the opportunity to put in a much stronger axle. The old hustler axles would break at the pin holes if abused; you can machine a 1 1/4" solid axle with a 1/4" key way and purchase new martin sprockets from BDI or Motion Industries. A triple sealed 1 1/4" outer bearing with the same OD as the factory hustler bearing is available from BDI. Good luck!

Meinfield,

Could you explain the standard martin sprocket set up. Do they have a keyed axle tube with the sprockets attatched? any pics of your setup yould be great.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Meinfield View Post
    Mr D,

It does suck to have to re-do all your axles, but on the upside you have the opportunity to put in a much stronger axle. The old hustler axles would break at the pin holes if abused; you can machine a 1 1/4" solid axle with a 1/4" key way and purchase new martin sprockets from BDI or Motion Industries. A triple sealed 1 1/4" outer bearing with the same OD as the factory hustler bearing is available from BDI. Good luck!
    Hey Mein,

You have a link/part# for those bearings? I want to compare them to the bearings that I have.

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread