Can't keep Vanguard motor idling.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Can't keep Vanguard motor idling.

Can't keep Vanguard motor idling.

Hey everyone.

I bought a used argo 8x8 response a year ago and got it running with the help of a buddy. A few months ago the idle started to conk out the motor and now it's all messed up.

I downloaded the manuals and I'm finding some real issues figuring out which model Motor and Carb I have so I can use the correct springs and tune appropriatley.

Here is a picture of my engine bay.

Am I missing a spring for the secondary gov?

IMG_1731.jpg

Thanks. !!

I have the Nikki Carb 9.5 family... number is 610-27 291

I'm also scary aware the Throttle can lock open so easily right now..

if your briggs wont idle its dirt in the carb. It just needs a good cleaning. you can clean the jets and carb without removing it from the engine.
    i found directions on line.

you also have a spring located on the wrong position . this will cause the throttle to lock full open.

If you are talking about the Throttle spring.. I too noticed it should not be reattached to the cable.. Can someone post an image of the engine bay with the springs in the correct positions?

I've already reset the governor and assumed a spring might be missing there as well.. :P

The Spring goes under the screw Head of the clamp that holds the cable in place.

But the spring is not your problem. Yes that is the wrong spring and in the wrong location but that will work. Looks like some did not wont to buy the 10.00 one and put whatever they had laying around. Now back to your issue. The carb is gummed up. While it will run it is not mixing air and fuel correctly for Low speed (Idle). You don't have to remove the carb to clean it. First make sure you got Carb Cleaner. Take the top cover off with the four screws. Drain carb bowl with the plug that is facing the front. Next remove the float and needle and place on a clean towel(Be careful don't drop the little sucker)Next take a Flathead screwdriver and stick it through the drain hole and remove your main jet (Take your time and don't drop it down in the bottom of the machine). In case it falls in the bowl just use some needle nose pliers to retrieve it. Place it to the side on a clean towel. Next if you look straight down into the carb you will see the carb Nozzel. Use your flathead and remove and place it on the towel. Next if you look on the left bottom side of the carb you will see your idle mixture valve. Unscrew it with your fingers and place it on the towel. Next get your carb cleaner (with the straw) and clean your bowl and all the small inlets. Now inspect your jet and make sure it is not clogged. Clean it with a small wire. Next clean your carb nozzle. It has two small holes on each side and a large on both ends. Clean your mixture valve. Now it is time to reinstall. Install the jet and nozzle (snug but don't bear down). Mixture valve and spring next. Screw it in until it seats(don't force). Then screw it back out 1 1/4 turns. Install the top(Make sure you cleaned it good also and inspect your gasket). Your going to need to replace your diaphragm pump also(15 to 20 bucks). Now install your air cleaner. After an install of a new pump it might take a while to prime. So make sure you have a good battery. When it finally fires up run it for at least 5 Min to warm up. Now you can adjust the mixture valve clockwise to counterclockwise to get the mid point between Lean and Rich. Also I opted to go with a low pressure electric pump because I was tired of replacing diaphragm ones. Mr. Gasket 42S. You can use any low pressure pump as long as it don't get above 4 PSI. The 2 to 3 range is perfect. If you do decide to make sure you mount it lower than the tank as these pumps push rather than pull.

Oh another thing is the secondary GOV spring is used on generators not these machines

Your engine is a 350447-1282 e1

+ Reply to Thread