Ebay carb or rebuild the carb...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Ebay carb or rebuild the carb...

I saw about removing the black wire on another post and did that yesterday as well. The plugs look ok. There are two things I need to adress in addition to the black wire. First the breather problem of oil blowing out of the pcv valve. I'll get a new pcv after I pull the motor and get all of the 30 years of oil and grease off of it to see if any gaskets are leaking. The next thing and kinda important is taking care of the sparks that were coming off of the heat shield at the front top of the motor and at the bottom front of the fly wheel while it was running. Good thing was even with the sparks there it was running good. LOL! It wasn't very safe though. Once I get it cleaned up and put back in I'll send an update.

Sparks? What is causing the sparks? Do you have metal to metal contact or an electrical issue?

Seen this before, rear spark plug wire sparking to the shroud. Engine runs but misfires. You can see the misfire in the dark from the plug wire to the shroud. Realigned the plug wire until no spark to the shroud. Usually a problem with the boot and wire from the coil.
    Acta non verba

I believe the spark was from the ignition system somehow. It was sparking like the plugs do. The motor is also blowing g so much oil out of the PCV valve the oil is being g sucked into the engine. How do I know, when I took the intake manifold off there was oil just laying there. If I do replace the PCV valve will it stop blowing oil? With the amount of oil covering everything it could be shorting the connections somewhere... Is that the ignition module on the front heat shield or is it part of the charging system (I know I'm a newbie to the small engine world)?

ignition is under the flywheel, the module on the cooling shroud is the rectifier for the 12v system. blowby into he air cleaner could be from over filling the oil. or by a bad pcv. a oil wet air cleaner will make the motor rich. The governor adjustment also can cause the carb o spit back fuel due to it opening the throttle very fast. Governor adjustments are a PITA. best to do a goov bypass.
    Acta non verba

Thanks for the info. I'll try to pick up a PCV valve and resistor wire on Thursday. Once I get those I'll put it back together and see how it goes.

Check to be sure that the oil isn't way overfilled and also smelling of gas. typically when you have a loss of spark you may blow a lot of fuel past the rings into thee crankcase. this thins and overfills the oil. This is really the only thing ive ever seen to make one of these engines puke a lot of oil back out the vent
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The oil level was ok when I started this process. I just changed it so it will be good. Now I have to wait for my parts to arrive to put everything back together. Hopefully I won't have too many parts left over... LOL!

Well the engine is pretty clean and no obvious gasket leaks. I'm still waiting in my parts to come in and I'm putting it together very slowly and deliberately, making sure the engine shrouds line up how their supposed to so I don't get any sparking again... I found the culprit that was causing the sparks. One of the wires coming out from behind the flywheel is chafed right where I saw the sparks at. I guess I'll be pulling the fly wheel. Shout out to my father for leaving his tools to me when he passed. He was a mechanic that could diagnose a engine over the phone, really he was that good. Well I have every socket from about 3/8 to 1 1/2" but not the size I need of about 1 3/16" or the metric size.... What size should I look for to remove the flywheel on my '93 16 HP Vangard?

Here we go, I repaired the wire coming from the alternator/stator. I put everything back together along with the new breather and the wire that kills the motor that runs between the coils. I put the motor back in "IT." Put all the wires and fuel line back on. IT runs like a top! Thanks for all the help and advice while I started my Max II adventure. Next is repairing the flexible exhaust and a new belt and putting a red spring in the clutch. Thank again to everyone!

+ Reply to Thread