new to the site and had a few questions about a hustler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new to the site and had a few questions about a hustler

new to the site and had a few questions about a hustler

recently doing over a hustler 6x6 and had a few questions.I have a lot of money sweat and tears into this thing but I finally got to take it for a ride to day! well worth it!
    My first question is what year could it be? It has a 440 kolher twin with elec start on it,which runs great! It has 8 inch wheels with a small rack over the engine hatch.its almost 8 feet long and about 4 wide. I have looked at a few post on here and none of them are really clear about what model is which.

Question #2 I need a starter and cant find one anywhere, the one I have is shoot and have had 2 old time generator re-builders look at it and neither of them can get parts to rebuild it or replacement. I picked one up off ebay from another member on this site and the starter works but it spins the motor the opposite way of which it should!

# 3 I blew 2 chains any body know what the size or pitch would be for them? Also the set screws that hold the I guess you would call them bearing stays are flanges, on the out side of the tub keep backing out. I have done every thing but lock tight! should i use it on it?

any info is greatly appreciated

I can only answer a couple of your questions.

The starter, sounds like the same problem I had. I had my starter apart. When I reinstalled it I had put the housing back on backwards. It can slide on one way or the other. You have the magnets backwards. take starter apart, slide the housing off. Turn end over end 180* and slide it back on. You will need to make clips to keep the starter brushes in their places while putting the housing back on.

Here's a picture of the clips I made out of thin aluminum

On the set screws always add lock-tite. If they still loosen up. You can always peen them. ( using a center punch and hammer) making a dimple in the the set screw's thread after it has been tightened. Just remember that if you ever have to remove the set screw. You will have to drill that dimple out first.

My hustler is an 84. My chain size pitch is #50. I dont know if this is correct for your hustler. You may have had your chains too tight, causing them to break.

Hello 6x6world guys & gals. Were're hopeing some of you hustler guys can help out with these issues. I sold this starter to Zfish. It is from a 72 kohler 400. It mounted underneath the muffler on the stator/pull starter side. I tested it on a motor on the bench without a carb. It turned the motor fine, i just don't know witch way it spun it. I assumed it was ok. Do the kohler 440 starters bolt to the clutch side of the motor? If it does that would cause it to spin opposite direction. Is it possable to have "reverse polarity" due to a wiring problem? Zfish said it won't actually fire off untill he lets off the key. I'm thinking that the ignition switch might have something to do with it due to it not firing whikle in the start mode but the ignition "on" mode for the spark. I had a yz490 run backwards due to the wrong year flywheel. I kicked it & it started & i put it in gear & it took off in reverse!! Thanks for any ideas. JasonK.

the starter bolts to the clutch side of the 440. I may have one it will be a few days before I can check for sure though.

Mike
    "Don't worry my Dad's a TV repairman, he has an excellent set of tools..I can fix It"

nice job on the retaining brush clips! Going to try the lock tight idea on the set screws. With the chain It just like on the dirt bike 2 fingers of play or should I go less then that for there being no suspension?
    Zak

Quote Originally Posted by jasonk View Post
    Hello 6x6world guys & gals. Were're hopeing some of you hustler guys can help out with these issues. I sold this starter to Zfish. It is from a 72 kohler 400. It mounted underneath the muffler on the stator/pull starter side. I tested it on a motor on the bench without a carb. It turned the motor fine, i just don't know witch way it spun it. I assumed it was ok. Do the kohler 440 starters bolt to the clutch side of the motor? If it does that would cause it to spin opposite direction. Is it possable to have "reverse polarity" due to a wiring problem? Zfish said it won't actually fire off untill he lets off the key. I'm thinking that the ignition switch might have something to do with it due to it not firing whikle in the start mode but the ignition "on" mode for the spark. I had a yz490 run backwards due to the wrong year flywheel. I kicked it & it started & i put it in gear & it took off in reverse!! Thanks for any ideas. JasonK.
    Hey Jason,
    Yeah I didnt mention what side it mounted on when we first talked on ebay, Stupid me! LOL I honestly didnt know there way a difference or it would matter! I did how every get a chance to find some schematics on here for the hustlers and Im heading up back in a few to mess around with it and see what I can figure out! I will let ya know what I come up with,
    zak

Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    the starter bolts to the clutch side of the 440. I may have one it will be a few days before I can check for sure though.

Mike

Mike, that would be a great thing if you did or if you knew were I could find a used one, any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Zjfisher@live.com is my email. Please let me know.
    Zak

back with another question bout the ol' kohler 440!

found this place in the mid west called GHI they have a lot of The 2 stroke kohler parts if anybody needs there number let me know! Any how I bought a few parts needed to rebuild my recoil. The main part being the plastic piece that the rope recoils on. well after a week of having it in and using it maybe ten time the plastic piece is starting to crack and causing the dogs not to work correctly, The lady said the make a aluminum one but she was not sure if it would fit the original pull start with the plastic one. Does anybody know if it will?
    thanks for any info

you are exactly right about the starter...flip the barrel over and it will turn the other way

Quote Originally Posted by KELLEYG View Post
    you are exactly right about the starter...flip the barrel over and it will turn the other way
    sounds like a plan! Going to try it out now
    Thanks for the idea!
    ZAk

+ Reply to Thread