980 hustler nos build

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 980 hustler nos build

Quote Originally Posted by marshgunner View Post
    Will the center sprocket still end up in the hump on the lower tub or will you need to steel a set of sprockets off of a 900 or something like that?
    Already looked into it. I can leave the center sprocket where its at and cut the frame in half behind the transmission mount so the center sprocket would stay centered or I can just leave the frame intact and move the rear axle back inside the frame as it is. Trouble is I can at max move the axle back 1" with the factroy rear sprocket and the flange only has about 2" it can go back if you didnt worry about sprocket clearance. . You could fit 28"s easily under it that way without even recentering the middle sprocket. The front I can probably squezze another 1" out of maybe more if I got creative. Ill have to see how much clearance the tub will allow for frame streching when I get to that point. The biggest hangup I had is that I cant find a tire that I liked in a 28" that I knew would swim and turn well with this machine. My first choice would have been vampires but I can only get a 28x10x12 thats the widest they make. Then I thought outlaws but I was told they dont turn well on a skid steer with a t20. I was told the mud-ox can run them due to the abililty to counter steer. I would rather have a 26x13x12 Vampire asx and have 3" of extra width rather than the 1" under the tub you would gain with a 28x10 tire. That was just my theory. I plan on putting tracks on this machine and I dont know of a tire bigger than my 26" goodyear terras a that track will still fit on. I just dont think it would be worth extra work for the minimal gain. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by highrollinmopars; 03-05-2012 at 09:39 AM.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    While you have the frame out, you might want to fab up a something for a T-20 hold down that bolts into the two top bolt holes on each case half. Trust me, you'll be very happy that you did and save yourself many headaches in the future. The T-20's have quite the tenancy to "walk out" of the stock Hustler transmission mount/cradle. So far, so good......she looks great!
    I know its really common but so far I havnt had a problem with the t-20 mount. I am doing as you suggested and beefing it up though. An hour of work here could save me a weekends work some other time.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by jpswift1 View Post
    Looks great! Two BIGFOOTs (bigfeet) certainly makes for a cool 6x6 fleet. Sorry to hear about your bad luck with Richard Clark ripping you off for a center sprocket that didn't fit for $275. That's so typical of him and that's why I tell everyone to avoid him. Here's a better alternative. Call up the guys at Buffalo Bearing at (716) 874-1720. Tell them you're working on a 6 wheeler and you're going to need some sprockets. They'll order the correct sprockets with any center bore size that you like. Get some DOM tube for the sprocket tube, measure the outside diameter and then order the correct sprockets from Buffalo Bearing. Take them to a machine shop and have them welded on and the holes drilled for the sprocket pin/bolt. Now you'll have brand new ones at a MUCH, MUCH lower price than Richard Clark charges. The quality will be much better as well.
    If I would have known that they could get me sprockets in any bore size I would have absoluetly done that from the get go. I could only find sprockets in a 3/4 bore and my bench on my lathe will not provide adequate clearance to turn the bigger sprockets. I may have to give them a call as I still need 6 sprockets and 5 axles for my next build. As well as a t-20. If anybody had some parking brake disc that mounted on the t-20 that would be killer. I have the factory caliper setup with the pads on another frame.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

I am pretty happy with my split shifter setup. It seemed like the simplest way to do it and I though it looked kinda factory made. I even had a matching shifter for the right side.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

Quote Originally Posted by highrollinmopars View Post
    The biggest hangup I had is that I cant find a tire that I liked in a 28" that I knew would swim and turn well with this machine. My first choice would have been vampires but I can only get a 28x10x12 thats the widest they make. Then I thought outlaws but I was told they dont turn well on a skid steer with a t20. I was told the mud-ox can run them due to the abililty to counter steer.
    If you've built a twin-stick shifter for your T-20, you'll have the ability to "counter-steer".

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    If you've built a twin-stick shifter for your T-20, you'll have the ability to "counter-steer".
    But from what I was told you would have to counter steer just to turn. I dont want to have to switch from forward to reverse just to make a turn. Ive never run outlaws on aatv but from what Ive heard they dont turn well on a skid steer. The biggest reason I wanted the split shifter was for swimming. I can make alot tighter turns in the water with it. It will also come in handy if get in a bind and need to turn around I guess, but I think it would be very tough on the weak frames these Hustlers already have problems with.

Dont get me wrong im not saying you can modify a Hustler to run 29"+ tires because you can. Im just saying if I where to go through all that I dont want to be stuck with a big monster tire that wont swim or wont perform as well as a smaller 26 like the asx would. If interco would make a 30" Vampire ASX then I would be cutting up my frame right now.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD

Some of the earlier Hustler frames such as the ones in the fiberglass bodies like the 880 were a bit weaker than the newer 945, 950, and 980 models, but these later model frames were pretty well built.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Don't go overboard on tire size, BW6 tried to use a T-20 in his custom made amphib, but it couldn't handle the torque required to turn the 30" tires he had. If you want to go that big you need to look into a more robust drive and steering system.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Don't go overboard on tire size, BW6 tried to use a T-20 in his custom made amphib, but it couldn't handle the torque required to turn the 30" tires he had.
    I'd be astonished if the T-20 couldn't turn 30s with 40-tooth primary sprockets on the centers. Is it the T-20 ITSELF that was having problems? Without going back to re-read his posts, did anything break? Band slippage?

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    I'd be astonished if the T-20 couldn't turn 30s with 40-tooth primary sprockets on the centers. Is it the T-20 ITSELF that was having problems? Without going back to re-read his posts, did anything break? Band slippage?
    If I remember correctly, the input shaft twisted in two. Even with the reduction in the sprockets, you still have to have alot of torque to turn tires that big.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

+ Reply to Thread