1983 Hustler 950 V-twin transplant

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: 1983 Hustler 950 V-twin transplant

Not much progress in the past couple of days. I did order a belt, I believe it was 48.5" or something like that, what I mainly remember is that it was $50!!! Tomorrow I plan to build the new rear floor, and make a mount for an oil cooler and the filter. I believe all that's left after that are my hub conversions and building the exhaust.

Thinking about an exhaust, I am getting some 1.25" mandrel bent U's, a two 1.25" to one 2" collector, and it will be topped off with a glasspack. I need some advice on building the header. Do both 1.25" pipes need to be the same length? Should they be a certain length? Anything else I should know before I dive into this?

On a completely unrelated and somewhat sad note, I went to Jonesboro yesterday to swap out some empty gas bottles for the welder. While I was up there, I decided to go and see the spot where the Hustler factory origionally was (2924 E. Nettleton Ave., according to a late brochure on route6x6). Well the factory building is long since demolished, and the location is currently occupied by a First Security Bank.
    1983 Hustler 945-HK 627cc Vanguard
    1982 GMC K-10 Sierra Classic Suburban 6.2 Diesel
    2010 Chevy Silverado 1500
    1974 Honda ATC 70
    1986 Honda ATC 250ES Big Red

There is no Z in Diesel!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stonewall View Post
    Not much progress in the past couple of days. I did order a belt, I believe it was 48.5" or something like that, what I mainly remember is that it was $50!!! Tomorrow I plan to build the new rear floor, and make a mount for an oil cooler and the filter. I believe all that's left after that are my hub conversions and building the exhaust.

Thinking about an exhaust, I am getting some 1.25" mandrel bent U's, a two 1.25" to one 2" collector, and it will be topped off with a glasspack. I need some advice on building the header. Do both 1.25" pipes need to be the same length? Should they be a certain length? Anything else I should know before I dive into this?

On a completely unrelated and somewhat sad note, I went to Jonesboro yesterday to swap out some empty gas bottles for the welder. While I was up there, I decided to go and see the spot where the Hustler factory origionally was (2924 E. Nettleton Ave., according to a late brochure on route6x6). Well the factory building is long since demolished, and the location is currently occupied by a First Security Bank.
    That's unfortunate that the factory has been demolished. I heard they knocked it down shortly after the remaining inventory was sold off. Such a shame to think about. I heard stories that the factory had all the inventory, parts, and equipment and with a little bit of dusting off and flipping of a few switches, production could have started back up.

As far as the header goes, you should make both pipes the same length. I bought two RLV silencers for the end of mine and they sound very nice IMO. I think I might need to jet my carb a little richer though to compensate for the much more free flowing exhaust. That factory Briggs exhaust is VERY restrictive. Here's some advice from 6X6World member Micmac on his custom exhaust for his Briggs in his Max IV......Mike did a very nice job on it by the way.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/conte...m-exhaust.html
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Check out this article on exhaust tuning
    Exhaust and Intake Tuning

Wow, its been longer than I thought since my last update!

All fabrication on the frame has been completed, and it's now looking very handsome in a coat of Valspar Anti-Rust Armor. I built the new rear floor out of a sheet of 16 gauge steel, and it's coated in Plasti-kote truck bed liner. All of the shifter linkage has been painted and installed, and the T-20 is filled with Royal Purple and bolted down. Once I get some strip caulk, the frame can go back in the tub for the last time, and four of my axles can go in. I have a nice large oil cooler to replace the dinky stock one, and the oil filter will be mounted in a much more accessable place to right of the engine. I believe this will be the first Hustler with full instrumentation, as I will be installing 6 Equus gauges: Temperature, Oil Pressure, Voltmeter, FUEL GAUGE, Tachometer, and Hour Meter. All matching. When I get the frame in the tub, I will build the exhaust and rear grille/engine cover hinge and other than that, I just like finishing up!!

Note that the paint is actully red, not orange like it look in the pictures.
    1974 Honda ATC 70

Wow, that looks nice. The t-20 angle support turned out good. Thanks for the update.

What haven't you touched? Your Hustler is really coming along well! Great welding also. Can't wait to see pics of it when your finished.
    HUSTLEMANIAC and a HONORARY MEMBER of the
    BIGFOOT ALUMNI

Quote Originally Posted by fmints View Post
    What haven't you touched? Your Hustler is really coming along well! Great welding also. Can't wait to see pics of it when your finished.
    Thanks! Lol ummm, I'm still using the factory T-20 chain adjusters...I think that's about the only thing I havn't modified...
    1974 Honda ATC 70

Stonewall...............Your Hustler looks awsome......Great job..

Made a little progress today. The frame is now *officially* mated to the lower tub, all the bearings are bolted in, caulked and greased. It's now sitting on 4 wheels. I still have to finish converting 2 axles to the 4 bolt pattern, so that I can put all the chains in and everything else will follow suit. Tomorrow I plan to drop in the engine and start building my exhaust.

Pictures:

1974 Honda ATC 70

Oh man, that looks sooooooooooo good! Now that's the definition of a quality build right there. Nice work!
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

+ Reply to Thread