Another resurrected Hustler...

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Another resurrected Hustler...

Hazard85......In my pic above the tires are 23/10.50-12.....They fit the rig well, I just want a little wider tire to fit the wheels and help with snow travel in Colorado.... The nice thing about 22" tires is that you might be able to run tracks, if you want too. I have seen 22" with home made tracks on them and they look great.....

Stonewall that's an excellent idea! Simple, yet effective.

Turtle I don't have any plans of running tracks; I believe my best bet for this Tennessee Mud is to just go with some BFT's (Big Friggin' Tires)!

I believe I have figured out that my machine is a 930. There is a stamped sticker next to my choke knob, and on one line it has 930-HK, and below that is _ _ -294. I'm not sure what goes in the blanks, because the sticker is torn away, but it looks like the letters 'HS'. Does this make sense to anyone? I tried to snap a pic of it, but the flash on my camera washed it out. I'm going to try again tonight when I get home from work.
    19?? Hustler 930 Frame-out resto in progress!
    2009 Yamaha Grizzly 350 4x4
    2003 Honda VTX1800S
    1982 Ford F-150 4x4 351W
    2009 Ford Ranger

Do I have too many toys?...NAH!!

No luck on the sticker due to poor lighting. The disassembly is chugging along slowly but surely; I have all the RH axles out, now for the LH. I'm hoping to lift the frame out this weekend.
    2003 Honda VTX1800S
    1982 Ford F-150 4x4 351W
    2009 Ford Ranger

Keep us posted on all the hard work.....Pics......I too plan to have the frame out by this weekend....Pulling engine, tranny and axles in the morning.......fun fun....

I do not think you have a 950. I was looking at your first pictures and the trans shifters are split and it looks like middle axle sprockets have the large drive spocket from the transmission. 950's also have the battery tray under the front seat (pass side) and the single trans shifter is beside the battery (drivers side). Anyway I do believe you have a very good project no matter the model, the models are very close and have many interchangeable parts thoughout the models. I also want to say that I am no expert on the different Hustler models, but I have had my butt up in the air over a few 950's and I just thought I would point out a few difference a saw. Keep us posted on the progress and the picutures coming. BTW I have a buddy that has 25x12x12 Mudlite sytle tires mounted on lawn tactor rims, they fit his 950. I have a fuzzy picture somewhere of his set-up.

Here are a couple of pics. One is of the sticker next to the choke knob; I had to color it with a pencil to make the writing stand out, but you can see "930-HK". I'm guessing this means I have a 930? The other pic is of the RH side with axles removed. Note the broken one in the background. Thanks for the info, duckhunt. This is a huge learning experience for me. Turtlecrawler, I had better see some pics of yours in pieces soon!
    Attached Images
    2003 Honda VTX1800S
    1982 Ford F-150 4x4 351W
    2009 Ford Ranger

Pics on the way today...Hope to make some progress with the teardown this afternoon........Yeah

Well the frame is out, and the verdict is in: the frame is too rusty to save. My friend and I are going to fab up a new frame for it; it looks pretty simple, just some C channel and square stock with a splash of flat stock here and there...haha. Of course, everything has to be in the right places and SQUARE!! If anyone knows any critical dimensions or "you better do this or it won't work!!", PLEASE let me know. I will be in your debt . Note the "before" and "after" washout pics of the tub; that was a lot of crud!
    Attached Images
    2003 Honda VTX1800S
    1982 Ford F-150 4x4 351W
    2009 Ford Ranger

Wow, that definitely was a lot of crud. Good luck with your build. It looks like you are making some great progress.

I dont post here much, but thats because Im new to AATVs and my knowledge base is still small. However, I AM a fabricator and welder, and have a lot of experience building anything you can imagine out of most metals. If your frame is still square and pretty flat, (you can measure square by going corner to opposite corner, like an "x"), you can use your existing frame as a jig for the new frame. Just build it right on top of the old frame. Additionally, you can break the job down into sections, and complete the work on one framerail, then the next, drilling the holes and so forth. Just make sure to be as precise as possible, and determine your "critical points" before you start cutting/welding. If you have specific fabrication related questions, feel free to post or pm me and I will answer them as best I can.

+ Reply to Thread