Newbie here---first question

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Newbie here---first question

Newbie here---first question

Just bought my son a 84 Hustler.

My first two questions----
    -Appears there is NO muffler...we have a 3 yr. old that does not want to ride due to the noise. So I want to quiet it down, as cheap as possible. Not worried if we lose a little performance. suggestions?

-Not sure if we need to adjust transmission, when we turn, should one wheel side lock and the other have power? I would think the 'non-powered' wheel should flow freely, not lock?

THANKS

Your Hustler is turning correctly. These are skid steer machines meaning that you brake one side to steer. As for the muffler, what motor do you have?

Welcome to the site.

If you could post a picture of it we could tell you everything you need to know about it. If its a 84 its either a 950 or 980I/c model.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

Here are the pictures

ATV2 interior.jpgATV3 Engine.jpgATV1.jpgATV4 exhaust.jpgATV5 engine stamp.jpg

I hope the pictures show up.
    -Next project is to find a acceptable muffler???

That's an odd track setup. It has drive chains mounted outside the body. There's another 6X6World member that has that same Hustler track system, so it must have been a factory original.....maybe some sort of low production option. Regardless, it's very cool and very unique! Could you tell us some more about how it works?
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Man ive been dying to see some good pictures of a track setup like this. Like Jp said there is another guy on here that has one like yours but he posted one picture and I that was it. Jp what kind of motor does this Hustler have? Im not up on the 2 strokes.
    HUSTLER 980 NOS BUILD
    HUSTLER 980 TRAIL MACHINE
    HUSTLER 950 PARTS MACHINE [

IMG]http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww81/highrollinmopars/2012-06-04_07-13-01_284.jpg[/IMG]

I'll jump in for JP- That's a Chaparral (Xenoah) G50B. Same engine as the Superchief: about 40 hp, or 44 depending on who you ask. They are probably not the best trail engine, although there were two on the trails last weekend in Ohio and they both did great.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

I'd like to see more pictures of that track set as well. Very unusual!
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Don is spot on. He's the Chaparral engine expert. I've seen more and more Hustlers lately with the G50B Chaparral engines in them. It's the same engine they used in the Attex Superchief and the MAX RIM (early Max IV).
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I just flew out of town so I WILL post more pictures when I get back...in the meantime, any thoughts on installing a muffler??

+ Reply to Thread