Hustler 980 lower bodies

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hustler 980 lower bodies

Hustler 980 lower bodies

Im in need of some hustler 980 lower body pics, they need to be with the frame out, got a call from a guy working on a mold for them and need some pics to send him, I only have a 950(I think). If you have dimensions that would be great to.
    any help is greatly appreciated

There's at least one picture of the empty tub in my album of the 980 rebuild. I'd link to it but I don't know how from my phone.
    Stuck in the seventies- not in the swamp.

(6) Attex, a Hustler, a Super Swamp Fox, (2) Tricarts, (3) Tri-sports, a Sno-co trike, 3 Dunecycles, and a Starcraft! ...so far

Quote Originally Posted by bugeyed_99 View Post
    Im in need of some hustler 980 lower body pics, they need to be with the frame out, got a call from a guy working on a mold for them and need some pics to send him, I only have a 950(I think). If you have dimensions that would be great to.
    any help is greatly appreciated
    It is my understanding that Richard Clark of Richard's Relics has the original molds for the Hustler 980. Maybe contact him. Making an offer to purchase or use his may be cheaper than making your own. That is if he has them.

Keith.

ADAIR TRACKS, WITHOUT 'EM YOUR JUST SPINNING YOUR WHEELS
    REMEMBER KIDS, THE FIRST "A" in AATV STANDS FOR AMPHIBIOUS

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I'd link to it but I don't know how from my phone.
    alaka....ZAM!

Tried contacting Richard but with no luck

I'd be more than happy to help with this project. This is very exciting news! As you know there's the standard 900/945/950 tub and then there are two versions of the Hustler 980 BIGFOOT tub. There's the regular 980 tub which fits 26 or 27" tires and the taller 980 tub which also fits 26 or 27" tires, but was designed to run 26x12x12 tires with tracks over them from what I've heard. The taller 980 tub is about 3" taller than the regular 980 tub. The taller 980 tub has an area in the center of both the front and the rear that is bumped out about an extra 1".....you'll see this in the pics I posted below. I personally prefer the regular 980 tub because the machine swims better in the water because it doesn't kick the water forward, rather the water hits on the "fenderwells" preventing it from being kicked forward and hurting your speed in the water. Also, the regular 980 tub Hustler is more stable in the water than the taller 980 tub because you don't sit so high up and your center of gravity is lower.

Here's a pic of the front of my Hustler 980 regular tub:

And here's a pic of the front of the Hustler 980 taller tub:
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

I think the cost of the molds is going to be a deal breaker. I researched this recently along with a Max and Argo dealer and the best deal that could be found was still over $20,000 for the molds. I think when you factor in the labor and materials and probably small market that it won't be economically viable.
    An alternative would be to make a tub out of metal, either steel or aluminum. The jigs would be straight forward to make and there wouldn't be the initial cost that the molds would require.

Quote Originally Posted by Noel Woods View Post
    I think the cost of the molds is going to be a deal breaker. I researched this recently along with a Max and Argo dealer and the best deal that could be found was still over $20,000 for the molds. I think when you factor in the labor and materials and probably small market that it won't be economically viable.
    An alternative would be to make a tub out of metal, either steel or aluminum. The jigs would be straight forward to make and there wouldn't be the initial cost that the molds would require.
    I will not let you rain on my parade. lol Probably right, but its worth a shot. Ill get the prices and break down to see how many bodies at how much it would take to break even, not looking to make money off it just make a supplier for us hustler guys.

Quote Originally Posted by bugeyed_99 View Post
    I will not let you rain on my parade. lol Probably right, but its worth a shot. Ill get the prices and break down to see how many bodies at how much it would take to break even, not looking to make money off it just make a supplier for us hustler guys.
    Excellent. Thanks for doing this, we certainly appreciate your effort. I really hope something works out with it.
    "Looks like you have a problem with your 4 wheeler........you're missin' two wheels there"

Frankly, guys, I can't see why we can't just cut the tub precicely above the frame , add a 3 or 4 inch section and get on with our dreams. I've studied it and it looks like standard body work 101. We chopped channeled and sectioned car bodies for years. You just scribe and cut it add a 10 gauge aluminum strap bed n seal it and secure it with stainless closed clamshell rivets You'll have to fit the projection for the drive side. Done right, it should have no effect on the structural component. Easy,trick, and, a hell of alot cheaper!! I'm 66 years old, grew up in the custom hot rod n Harley era, so, Im still thinking old school. Just puttin it out there???

+ Reply to Thread