Hustler Muffler

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler Muffler

Hustler Muffler

Well I have some questions on the 1970 hustler muffler system. Ours doesnt appear to be piped out anywhere which causes the back seat to get extremely warm. I beleive that maybe there is a peice missing. I have noticed that some of them have a small peice under the rear seat with tail pipe sticking out, is this factory standard? If so what is it called so I can see about buying one or making one?

What motor do you have??? I have an 18 hp kohler, and made the exhaust from a old snowmobile exhaust!! I also took a rubber mat and made a heat baffle to force the hot air out.

Hey Russh,

I think they have the 16HP Kohler...

Ruffles,

Here is a pic of mine that I recently finished...

Hustler 005 pictures from outdoors photos on webshots

Different motor, but the same concept. Russh has a similar idea, and Meinfeld as well on their Hustler's.

If your husband can fabricate, or knows someone that welds, you can just have the exhaust pipe exit the vehicle, and then attach the muffler to the outside of the body using some box tubing or something like that. You can use an old motorcycle or snowmobile muffler instead of the stock one.

My hunting partner had a 16 HP Kohler and I did not like his exhaust setup, because it was this ENORMOUS box located inside the body, which will radiate a bunch of heat into the body. That is the advantage of having the muffler outside the vehicle, you basically take a large, heated metal mass and move it outside.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

Wow, you are exactly on target. That is what we have that big box and the back seat is a hot spot. LOL Thank you, and yes my husband can fabricate so we will use your advice and get that piped out.

Add on to my last post...as you know I piped it out, but mine was still getting pretty hot. So I added a Marine bilge exhaust fan and also put radiant barrier insulation underneath the engine cover which seemed to help A LOT!

I will take some pics in the next few days.
    Hammers should have warning labels.

+ Reply to Thread