My Hustler only goes about 5mph

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My Hustler only goes about 5mph

My Hustler only goes about 5mph

About a week ago I picked up a Hustler 6x6 with a 16hp Briggs and Stratton Vanguard Motor. I got it home and got it started, it runs and drives, but it is extremely slow. My zero turn mower would easily beat it in a race, and I looked up the specs of my zero turn mower (it has a top speed of 7mph). When I was riding the Hustler my 4 year old daughter wanted to ride with me, so she chased me. She outran the Hustler with the throttle wide open even though she was only jogging! Obviously something must not be right? I don't think these things are supposed to be THAT slow correct? Anyways, my thoughts were maybe it's something to do with the clutch size. I made a short video and posted it to youtube where you can see the setup. My questions are: Does the clutch setup look right? Could it be that the transmission has lost most of its power? Is it just as simple as adjusting the transmission bands? I'm not all that technical and this is the first Utility Vehicle I've ever owned so hopefully it's something simple. Let me know if you have any ideas.
    LINK to Youtube Video: https://youtu.be/aTZ9mbbH_yI

Welcome to the site jmcdougall17. Looking at your video the belt is not tight enough. Also. the belt should have a top width of 1-3/16 inches. If you have the wrong belt the narrowness will keep you from reaching proper tension. Someone has done an engine swap, and sometimes the engine mounting plate is modified to allow some adjustment to the engine position to "fine tune" belt tension. Without proper belt tension, the drive and driven pulleys won't reach their full travel and give you the highest speed ratio possible. You're kinda stuck in low gear with the loose belt. As for the extra movement on the right-hand transmission control, adjust the bands. Those are the bolts that connect the U channel to the plungers.

Thanks so much for the response! So to remedy my speed issue, is it likely that I could pick up a shorter belt with a larger width (1-3/16 inches) from a tractor supply store and I should be in business?
    If so thats awesome, thanks again for the response.

It may not be that easy. I don't know if TSC carries this type of belt. If so, that's great. I have found that the CVT belts don't have as many length options as an automotive vee belt. Get your hands on one (that you can return if it's wrong) and first make sure it sits in the drive clutch correctly. With the engine off, the belt should rest on the center shaft of the drive pulley, without touching the sheaves. The belt should ride at the top , or protruding slightly above the top, of the driven pulley. The belt should have about an inch of deflection.

call Roy at https://www.yelp.com/biz/quality-drive-systems-alhambra

he will want to know center to center distance of your 2 clutches. (slide motor all the way forward if the mount is adjustable) and the diameter of the driven clutch as well as the type of drive clutch. He can tell you the belt length you need and sell you the correct one
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

One other thing to note is that the drive clutch on the engine looks to be one designed to run a smaller belt, and it may be that it's not entirely suited toward this application. Your secondary clutch (on the transmission) looks to be the original unit that came with the machine, and designed to run a 1-3/16" top width belt. Once you get the right belt with the 1-3/16" top width, it may not fit correctly on the primary clutch you have now. It's tough to tell from the video, but I think this is the case. A better option for the drive clutch would be a Comet/Salsbury 780. I know the last thing you want to do is spend more money right now, but the 780 is designed for the right top width and works like a champ in this application.

Easy to unbolt the old clutch and bolt this one right on. https://www.mfgsupply.com/302405a-w2.html

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post
    One other thing to note is that the drive clutch on the engine looks to be one designed to run a smaller belt, and it may be that it's not entirely suited toward this application. Your secondary clutch (on the transmission) looks to be the original unit that came with the machine, and designed to run a 1-3/16" top width belt. Once you get the right belt with the 1-3/16" top width, it may not fit correctly on the primary clutch you have now. It's tough to tell from the video, but I think this is the case. A better option for the drive clutch would be a Comet/Salsbury 780. I know the last thing you want to do is spend more money right now, but the 780 is designed for the right top width and works like a champ in this application.

Easy to unbolt the old clutch and bolt this one right on. https://www.mfgsupply.com/302405a-w2.html
    Right on Mike, looks like it has a 400 or 440 series drive clutch ( no good), needs a 780 and different belt. No body commented on the transmission band adjustment, my guess by looking at the upper plungers is you are currently metal to metal. Do the clutch thing first.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Quote Originally Posted by hydromike View Post

I guess I shouldda watched the video
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

+ Reply to Thread