Hustler split shifter pics

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hustler split shifter pics

West Central Louisiana near Toledo Bend Reservoir

Hustler split shifter pics

This is the split shifter mechanism that I built for my hustler.It is a cable operated break apart that uses the original shift lever and incorporates a means to alternate from shifting both sides at once or one side at a time.
    Attached Images

Split shifter?
    I am totally in the dark.
    sorry if it's a dumb question, but, can you explain it and what it does?
    thanks,
    Henry
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

This is gonna take some time so you might want to go to the bathroom,grab yourself a beer (or two)or (in my case)a cup of coffee OK.Everybody ready? Here we go:first pic The cable at the top is attached to a yoke (the angle shaped piece)the yoke is pivotally anchored at its bottom,to the upright which supports the stock shift linkage crossbar and works similar to the throwout bearing yoke in a standard shift auto tranny.By pulling a lever at the other end of the cable,the yoke pulls the tube (left side of pic 2)which is welded to the locking disk (right side pic 2),this compresses the spring and allows the 2 halves of the locking disc to seperate (shown open in pic 2 shown closed in pic 3 )and move independently,each from the other.The right half of the disc shown in pic 2 has 6 holes (2 for each position)drilled through it,the left half has 2 pins in it which align with the holes in each respective position Pic 4 is the entire mechanism.To shift from forward to reverse you simply shift as usual.This mechanism is left side (tranny)oriented so whatever direction you split shift from the left side will stay in that gear.Example: you are in forward and want to zero turn to the left;stop the machine,shift to reverse then pull the cable and move the shifter to forward,release the cable to lock the disc,you now have the left side in reverse and the right side in forward push the right stick forward , pull the left stick back and make your turn.When you complete the turn and stop movement,simply pull the cable to unlock the disc;return the shifter to reverse and release the cable:the disc is now locked in normal shift position and will shift both sides of the tranny at the same time.To shift the other way is similar.Hope this helps.Would I recommend this to anyone else ?Not necessarily.It is complicated to lay out and build,and not nearly as straightforward as just installing a seperate shift lever for the other side.But I didn't want the other lever in the way in an already crowded space.-Gregg

*feeling dizzy*......
    nice, yet confusing.....for a simpleton like me anyway.

I didn't know you could put each side of the tranny in a different direction, if, that is what you are describing?

Very cool if so........
    So, the trans direction is independent, left and right?

Thanks, as confused as I am..........

Henry
    Henry:

You think it's confusing to read,try writing a description of how to the thing works.WOW! But it's a lot easier to use than it sounds.As with anything,the really tough part was building the first one,after that it's only a matter of duplicating what you have already done and refining what needs to be changed.For example the locking disc could just as easily be made using two round platesof 1/4"steel.

Yes that is one advantage of using the T-20 transmission,it can be shifted each side independently of the other with a modified factory shifter.

well,
    great info, and, nice of you to post it.
    thanks,
    I'll be scratching my head for a while to make one myself.........

Henry
    Henry:

+ Reply to Thread