Axle bearings, to upgrade or not....?

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Axle bearings, to upgrade or not....?

Axle bearings, to upgrade or not....?

Ok, I've read just about all I can find on the different bearing setups.

Should I upgrade the outer bearing setup on my Hustler 900, or run the original style bearing?

This is what I was thinking of replacing them with.

I don't know if that bearing would be any stronger than the original style. It may run the same exact bearing, just in a cast housing instead of the stamped steel plate housing.

The other factor is price. The cast housing bearings would cost over twice as much as the other bearings.

What is the major cause of bearing failure? Contamination, or structural failure?

All the inner bearings are still tight and intact. I will be replacing them, but don't see any reason to upgrade them other than replacing them with greasable bearings.

I went by the bearing house today. The gentleman there said to not use a bearing with an eccentric locking collar, but to use one where the setscrew is in the inner race. He told me the eccentric locking collars are designed to turn in 1 direction only, and would work loose in this application. The bearing I removed had the eccentric locking collar, was that original?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

I have also wondered if those bearings you showed would be stronger over the long run??

I will tell you that I have 1 year of very hard usage on eccentric locking collar outer bearings from Buffalo Bearings. This past hunting season was every weekend in the salt marsh. No bearing failures or loosening of the collars yet.

That being said I am curious as well...hopefully the brain trust will chime in.

What was the cost on each for those bearings?? Also, call Buffalo Bearing and see what their price is??
    Hammers should have warning labels.

The eccentric locking collar actually holds the axle from moving in and out of the machine (at least on older Max's and Attex's) I don't think the set screws hold as well. I have not had any loosen on me. A few broken on the old Max IV with the smaller dia. 1 1/4 bearings.
    I think sealing that style bearing to the body would be difficult. Are the inserts replacable in the housing?

One other problem regarding bearing failure is the tendency to over grease the bearing. It is very important not to grease the bearing to the point grease starts to ooze from the outer seal. When this happens the seal is damaged and will allow dirt water and whatever other crud to enter the bearing. I grease my bearings once a year with one pump of the grease gun and rotating the axle.
    Bob

REELLS, where is the old grease suppost to go then?

I think I'm going to stick with the OE style bearing.

Sealed inners and greasable outers.

Here are the Fafnir bearing numbers that I found.

FAFNIR RELUBE BEARINGS with ECCENTRIC COLLAR
    With SUPER SEALS for DIRTY APPLICATION
    With Inner Ring Extended On BOTH SIDES
    WARNING: Not Recommended for More Than 500 RPM

With a 22" tire 500 RPM is about 30 MPH, so I should be safe there.

1 3/16"
    G1103KPPB3

1"
    1100KPPB3

Now I gotta find the things!

Wow, those Fafnir's are expensive. Around 50 for the outers and 35 for the inners. More than I want to spend. I called Buffalo bearing and got a quote on an equivalent bearing for about 18 each inner/outer. Then I found another company, Maryland Metrics, that sells the same bearing Buffalo does for about 10 and 8 each.

So do these TR bearing seem to be holding up? Greg at Buffalo said they've been using them for about 9 years and have had good results.

Link to the TR bearing site

::::¶«Ý¸ÊÐTRÖá³ÐÓÐÏÞ¹«Ë¾::::

although, if the stock bearings lasted this many years.....they might be ok?

just a thought.
    Henry:
    I don't know where I'm going, but, I'm on my way...........

ygmir, I have no idea how long the stock bearings lasted, I just purchased the machine. I just like to tinker with upgrading stuff.

+ Reply to Thread