New Member, New Playcat!

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Member, New Playcat!

New Member, New Playcat!

Hey guys, I'm new the forum and my recently purchased early 70s Playcat C+2 is what brings me here (pics below). I've always ridden snowmobiles and three-wheelers since I was a young kid and over the past few years I've become more and more interested in the old and obscure types of these vehicles. Yeah, I know it's not a 6x6 and it's not amphibious but I'm hoping I can still find some information on here. Anyways, I just wanted to throw this out there and if anybody knows anything at all about Playcats, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!
    20150328_125138.jpg

20150328_125104.jpg

20150328_125053.jpg

Stout looking machine, nice find

Welcome to the site. What a cool machine. If you look in the " other machines" column and type in play cat in the search you'll find a little info. I past up this lil gem a month ago.
    Attached Images
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Wow, that one is GREAT shape! I'd like to pick the owner's brain on that one. Just curious...what were they asking for that thing?

Not sure. They parked it out front of their used car lot with no sign and of course they weren't open when I stopped. It was about 3 hours from where I live so I never pursued it further.
    What it lacks in ground clearance it makes up for with traction.

Hello I have been looking at getting a Trackster tracked ATV but then I saw this Playcat you purchased. Can you describe it for me? IE what size engine does it have, how fast can it go, what is the drive train, IE hydraulic or chains and bands. Do you know if replacement tracks are available?

THanks ~ Phil

To be honest I'm still learning about these things myself but I can tell you what I know so far. They were manufactured in Canada by Playcat Industries between the late 60s and early 70s. My particular model is a C+2 and it's powered by the original Kohler K399-2T, (399cc 2-stroke twin). The drive train includes a snowmobile type clutch which turns a gear box that has forward, neutral and reverse gears. The gear box turns a chain drive to each track. The steering is accomplished using a clutching/braking system which disengages power and applies a brake to one track or the other depending on which way you're turning. As for how fast it can go, I'm not 100% sure because mine does not run yet. Also, these vehicles are not amphibious.

I have found the following YouTube videos of running Playcats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ9T16ccOEc
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7etyc44MvU

Here are some other links to pictures/old brochures of the Playcat:

Play Cat
    VINTAGE SNOWMOBILE BROCHURES 2 (scroll all the way down to Playcat)

Hi Terx88 thanks for the info, so it sounds more like the drivetrain of a max or argo I think of them as a skid-steer setup. I like the setup of a trackster with the hydraulic motors where they both can power but at different rates to turn but still turn both tracks for pulling power.

~ Phil

I also have a 72 play cat,my father had it and passed it on to me.It has been the best snowplow ever.Been serving us since 1975.They were built in my grandparents hometown of Drummond Ville. Quebec.Still running the original 399 kohler.

From the pictures about the drive train looks very similar to the Amphicat that I am restoring with a snowmobile clutch turning the input shaft turning a gear shaft with a chain turning an axle that has 2 clutches that control the power to the wheels or tracks

+ Reply to Thread