1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NEWBIE

I'm 60 years old I've wanted an argo for 40 years I finally pulled the trigger and bought a conquest with supposedly only 147 hours! so upon getting it home after traveling for hours I unload it I go out the next morning with my grandson it won't start had to go get a new fuel pump $57. Then after 45 minutes of riding in it alternator belt goes and it died had to tow it back with the side-by-side. No power and smokey, small engine guy tells me head gaskets cause of blue smoke and dirty anti freeze and hundreds of dollars. so I'm pretty discouraged already I paid $5000 for it, thought I was getting a deal it has the 18" tracks windshield new winch now I'm having 2nd thoughts...
    Attached Images

Sorry to hear that you are having a bad experience. Unfortunately, that is the risk in buying used. The only way around that is to buy new, which is alot more than $5k.

I recently purchased an 07 with only 80 hours on it. Got a great deal on it and had to pick it up without an in person inspection. I figured how bad could it be. Well, i'm working on replacing every bearing in the machine and I am $1000 in parts. That said, I have an argo that is done, ready to go for $8k. Saved myself $20k over the cost of a new one.

Welcome to the club!

If you haven't, drain the gas and replace, water will run rough suck power smoke and excessive ethanol with stuck a fuel pump and clog a carburetor . Push rods often kick from bad fuel, running on one cylinder will cause power loss and eventually smoke or more. Tune it up and start fresh, also if not needed tracks suck power especially on turns.

Hope your experiences brighten, if not starting new is generally more pleasant.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Did that machine come from up Maine?

I bought a Conquest with 19 hrs on it that was like new, but it had been sitting for years un used. The Kawasaki engines in these do not and I repeat DO NOT like old gas. The lack of power problem is most likely a slipped push rod (easy fix) and the electronic "shut off" solenoid on the carburetor is most likely stuck in the forward position and is restricting the gas flow to the main jet. Mine was stuck and I just had to unscrew it from the side of the carb and let it soak in carb cleaner until I could move the tip in and out. Put it back in and I had full power. Drain your old gas, change the fuel lines, and only use non-ethanal with marine Stabil in it. Also give it a good does of Sea Foam gas additive and it will help clean the fuel system out. Check for a slipped rod under the head covers. That is caused from a gummed up rocker I believe. Trust me these are very reliable and workhorses when you get it fixed up. Your machine just needs some TLC.

Yes it did, the guy is a guide

I spoke with him about it when it was for sale he said he had 2 machines I was wondering why he was selling that one when the other looked to be in rough shape . Thats what happens at times buying a used machine anyone can clean up plastic to make it shine and swap out an hour meter for a new one , But everything is repairable nowadays. Once you get it striaghtned out you will have a very good machine , I like the conquests more than all the new stuff made today.

96404460_283151969374387_5908092480493977600_n.jpgit sat in storage for years. when he got it out he replaced all the bearings, the crank seal and all the chains look new and very well lubed. it actually is in great shape. sitting imo is the worst thing for anything. here it is doing work, kinda impressive he said it didn't phase it
    Last edited by barndog; 05-23-2020 at 08:00 AM.

I would rebuild the carb too. The kits are cheap and get yourself a torch tip cleaner and run it through all the holes in the carb tubes, jets, etc. This would be a good time to check what number is on the main jet and replace it with the one that matches the elevation range you operate the machine in if need be. There are three different ranges of elevation jets you can get. If you are at high altitude you can change the weights in your clutch to get your rpm range up to where it should be. Proper jetting and clutch weights make a big difference. Another thing you can do if you want more low end grunt is to change the spring tension on the secondary clutch (tranny clutch). They are designed for adjustment and there are three holes that the spring end goes in. These holes are numbered 1,2, and 3. The stock setting is 3 and gives the most speed. #1 gives the most low end grunt and 2 is in between the two. There are videos around done by Rockdoctor and others on you tube and this is a no cost tweek and makes a big difference in the machines performance. Check your plastic sliders on the clutch while your at it. These can break some times and cause vibration. You have a nice low hour machine that will give you years and years of service once you get it sorted out. There was a good reason the Conquest was Argos number 1 industrial 8x8 for over a decade.

Thanks for all the help so after 3 weeks in the garage I've got the argo back it was all carboned up,, running on 1 cylinder. so I have mixed some Yama lube free ring into some fresh gas with a bit of miracle oil. put some fresh plugs in it and I ran half a tank of gas which by the way took a day and a 1/2 .the argo Is running great I have a new belt on order it floats great. I took the tracks off seems to be a lot less resistance but I've noticed it hangs up pretty easy on the 4 Wheeler trails.

+ Reply to Thread