New here and to Argo's

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New here and to Argo's

New here and to Argo's

I have recently acquired dad's 97' Vanguard that was given to my BIL after dad passed, the BIL had left it sitting in a shed for 9 years unused. After I spent several hours pressure washing and degreasing it so I would not feel like I might catch something from touching it. Took the engine out to make it easier to work on, found he had burned up the starter and trashed the bendix trying to make it run (he was going to get it running to sell it). The carb was trashed from the 9 year old gas, some of the ports I had to open with drill bits they were so tightly plugged but the carb was beyond rescue. Anyway after cleaning and resetting the mag gap, installing a spare starter assembly, carb and manifold (manifold was cracked, I have no idea how he did that) from a junker 18hp Briggs engine I had it turned over twice and was running.

I will need to replace the engine, only 230 hours on the clock and it is terribly weak but good for spraying for mosquitoes. Gear box, bearings, seals and chains are all in good shape. Tires are worn and have some cracks but they will wear for sometime before needing replacement.

I have been running it almost everyday to take a trip through the woods and bottoms having a grand ole time just poking along, old enough now that speed is not necessary. Smoke free is though.

So for the engine I am thinking about using a Harbor Freight Predator 22 hp. I have heard good things about them but not had an opportunity to use one in anything. Has anyone here replaced the 16hp Vanguard Briggs with a Predator? If so any issues or tricks or pit falls to making it work?

welcome to the forum and welcome to the upkeep of former owners. Pics?

welcome to the forum. also wondering about replacement engines myself! someone will have an answer soon im sure.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    welcome to the forum and welcome to the upkeep of former owners. Pics?
    I tried to post some pics but they are to big, I will try to get some of the proper size soon.

Got the pics:

wow looks nice. what is that in the fan duct?

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    Welcome to the forum and the world of Argos. Just a couple of things to think about. What size is the Preditor pto shaft, what is the alternator output. Also the mounting. Maybe the mount holes have the same bolt pattern. I went from a 16 opposed Briggs to a 23 Vanguard which required some work. I have heard good things about the preditor engines but went with the used Briggs cause that was what was available in my price range.

Quote Originally Posted by trevorakm1 View Post
    wow looks nice. what is that in the fan duct?
    That is the oil cooler I added to it when I was repairing the engine.

Nice pics , argo looks to be in good shape

+ Reply to Thread