Lose front chains.

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lose front chains.

Lose front chains.

I was out riding and for the first time I've had my 1999 Argo Vanguard it ran great. I was out for at least 4 hours with no problems. Last week when I had it out I could hear some noise under the hood and found my idler chains were lose so I tightened them up. Today I could still hear the noise a little and found that my front chains were lose. I can't see any way to tighten them up. The middle and back chains both have those nylon adjuster on them but the front has nothing. The chains are not at the point were there going to jump off the sprockets but they are more then 1/8. Inch lose.So with the front chains do I have to replace them when they a little more play in them since there no way to tighten them up? One more thing I've hooked up some things in the last 2 months since I got the Argo like a Tach hour meter and 2 fans I put a electric low pressur fuel pump on a switch and about to install a temp gauge but the one thing I really went is a wench all my ATV and side by side have them and I don't feel safe without one when I'm out by myself riding. I can't find a bracket anywhere for a 1999 Vanguard 6x6. Does anyone know where I could pick one up? Our has anyone built thete own ?

I have also been trying out dad's old Vanguard since I got it and like you I really prefer not to be out, usually by myself, and not have a way to get out of any unwanted situation I might find so a winch is one of the things I intend to add.

The only source I have found for the mount is: https://6x6parts.com/argo-response-v...it-clone-.html.

All other sites I have checked list the kit as discontinued. Price seems high for what it is but....

Oh, the front chains on mine has the nylon tensioners.

Southwestern Ont Can about 5 miles from Lake Huron just north of the town of Goderich.
    I built my own mount using 3/4 square thin wall tubing and 3/16 flat stock cause that is what I had kicking around. I found a picture of one online and used my imagination after that. There are bolt mount holes in the frame for the factory bracket. I am technically illiterate when it comes to picture posting but might be able to PM you some pics. My 91 front chains have no tensioners.

i built my own winch mount for my old IC unit that i had.did the same a laird and eyeballed a picture.think i used gas pipe and bent it in the vice,it worked pretty good.somewhere on this site are pictures of it.if your front chains are slack,replace them.

http://www.6x6world.com/forums/argo-...hat-lol-8.html

mount pictures are in this old thread.

When I looked at the parts manual for a 1999 Vanguard it didn't show any nylon tensioners for the front just the middle and rear chains which makes no sense to me. I think I can get the winter out of the chains thete lose but not falling off.JWW. I did buy the mounting bracket should get it in about a week now I have to pick up a wench. A friend of mine is a industrial mechanic and said he would be able to get me the chains I need .

Quote Originally Posted by Rj1 View Post
    When I looked at the parts manual for a 1999 Vanguard it didn't show any nylon tensioners for the front just the middle and rear chains which makes no sense to me. I think I can get the winter out of the chains thete lose but not falling off.JWW. I did buy the mounting bracket should get it in about a week now I have to pick up a wench. A friend of mine is a industrial mechanic and said he would be able to get me the chains I need .
    Now that you mention it I think the one I was thinking was on the front is on the middle. Gonna have to look under the floor again.

I bought one of the brackets as well, normally I would just build one myself but age (mine) and lack of metal laying around it just made more sense to buy it already built. I have a 2500lb. winch from Tractor Supply in the shop that needs a home and the front of the Argo seems like a good place.

The front chains on Argo's don't typically have tensioners. I have heard of people adding them before though. I think the idea is that by the time your short front chains have stretched enough to need a tensioner, it's probably time to change all the chains. Replacing chains can be pricy, but it's better to replace chains sooner than to wait and have to do your sprockets too. When you do your chains, purchase one of the chain tools to bring the chain ends together, don't be cheap like to tried to be, it's not worth it

Hi make sure you change the chains. dont leave Them to long. the chains can stretch
    and then lay on the floor and wear a hole through the body. It happened to me.

I wrote in a different post how I was a little pissed off after buying my Vangaurd. This is the first time I bought any ATV without checking it myself and I'm not an expert on ARGO but I did a lot of reading on them before I bought mine. I found it on Facebook Market and talk to the gut a bunch of times about it I even had a buddy who lived by the guy look at it but he really only checked out the motor not knowing much about them and he could not check out the wheel bearings because the tracks were on but the guy selling it told him and me all the bearings are less then 6 months old and he put all new chains on it at the time. One of the first things I did when I got it was take off the tracks to grease all the wheel bearings and I could tell the tracks have not been off in a long time so I thought how could he have changed all the bearings without removing the tracks. I found 4 bad wheel bearings and one of them had no bearing left in it. Now really looking at all the chains they weren't replaced like he said. He even told me he put knew brake pads in it I checked them out and there nowhere near new they don't need to be replaced yet but probably by summer just like all the chains. I made a big mistake and trusted this guy he wouldn't come down on the price much because he said he just put so much into it he said he would send all the receipts when I had it shipped but they weren't there when the Argo showed up. I've called the guy and emailed and text him with no response. I know even if he did respond he would not do anything because I didn't get anything he told me in righting. The chains are not hitting the floor but they are lose and I will replace all of them properly in the spring or summer I think they will last tell then.

+ Reply to Thread