09 argo avenger belt in contact with exhaust

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 09 argo avenger belt in contact with exhaust

09 argo avenger belt in contact with exhaust

Hello guys, I finally have an argo partner to ride with. We met some time last week and as I was looking at his argo we noticed that the belt was actually cutting right through the exhaust pipe. Could someone please tell me what is the possible cause? I have the photo but not sure how to up load it. Please help. thank you in advance. BTW, I uploaded the photo but I have no clue where it went.
    Last edited by nemanuel; 03-19-2017 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nemanuel View Post
    Hello guys, I finally have an argo partner to ride with. We met some time last week and as I was looking at his argo we noticed that the belt was actually cutting right through the exhaust pipe. Could someone please tell me what is the possible cause? I have the photo but not sure how to up load it. Please help. thank you in advance. BTW, I uploaded the photo but I have no clue where it went.
    Your pics ended up in the gallery section,you got some issues there if the exhaust is a stock muffler and your clutch alignment is anywhere near close then I would take a good look at engine as well as transmission mounts good golly something is moving around or your secondary clutch has been removed or replaced without the proper spacers but it would have to be out a ton,with out getting into a complicated amount of measuring you could eyeball the belt to see if it is travelling in a straight line or remove the belt and using a long steel ruler laid on its side and sandwiched between the secondary sheaves and laying on the shaft of the primary is it more or less centered between the primary sheaves givin you a good idea whether the offset is grossly off if its a lot off of center than the secondary will needs shimming to spec.NCT

Hello again,

Thank you for the quick reply. He did tell me that they had the engine and trans removed to do some repairs to the frame. I will take another close look then I will let you know.

I'm wondering if both of the transmission mounting through bolts are through the transmission housing, if not the rear one may allow the clutch to pivot towards the manifold.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Hello back, we checked for both mounting bolts and they seem to be fine. I am not sure where else to look. If you guys anymore suggestions please feel free to post them. thank you.

First thing I'd do is grab ahold of the engine and see if it rocks back and forth at all, then do the same to the trans, if you see nothing I'd pull the powerpack and see what's going on outside of the machine.
    In the first pick you see nothing unfortunately , the 2nd pic looks wonderful, the 3rd pic shows a lack of room like something moved a lot. Find that something, check that the nuts are still on the engine mounting studs, check the powerpack did not fold up, etc,etc, etc.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

Was the motor /transmission mounting board ever replaced did you check clutch alignment yet this is so far from normal that it should stick out like a sore thumb its just way north of what is correct somebody has made a huge error in putting this back together.NCT

Hello argojim, thank you for the reply. The first two pics are from my own argo and its fine. The third pic is my friends at it has the problem with the belt rubbing against the exhaust.

Hello again,

I was told that the engine and trans were removed to repair the frame. We will be taking the trans out as soon as I get some free time. I will keep you posted. I do appreciate your help very much. thanks.

Hello again,

So the trans is out. No obvious issues with hardware. I did notice one think but I am not sure and I did not want to alarm my friend for no reason. It may not even be related. The argo is parked on a flat leveled surface. The back passenger tire appeared to be higher(up in the air) than the back driver side. Could it be that the frame is twisted? BTW, does anyone have a clear photo or photos of the new style chain tensioners that are already installed for 2005-2009 Avenger? As always thank you in advance.

+ Reply to Thread