New Amphicat Owner w/ Questions

1. Welcome to 6x6 World.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. Looking forward to seeing you in the forums and talking about AATVs!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Amphicat Owner w/ Questions

New Amphicat Owner w/ Questions

So, I have a hovercraft with a Chaparral G50B engine. While one is amphibious and the other used in AATV's, neither gained me much attention. So...I went out and bought an Amphicat project so I could associate with the cool people. I haven't had much time to mess with it, so I don't know if I adopted the 'Cat or its litter box but I do have a couple questions for those who know better.

A previous owner fabricated and upper frame to fit inside for whatever reason and cut holes in the hull to allow the attachment of a hitch. I removed all that, and will patch the body with ABS, but my question is this: will today's tires actually allow the Amphicat to float or are those glory days gone? Should I even try to make it amphibious again or is the battle over before I even start?

Also related to the body, I know it's ABS. A previous owner patched some holes with fiberglass but failed to do prep work. Worse, (s)he "painted" the 'Cat with rubberized undercoating. I don't really want to sand the body (because it's ABS) but, if I do, will a light rub with acetone smooth it out or will I be stuck with swirls forever (unless I paint it)?

I'm really stoked to have this project and am in the process of removing the frame from the body to get both into acceptable shape. I'll poke around on here but would be interested in hearing from other owners with things to look out for or recommendations. Thanks.
    My ATVs Average 1.5 Wheels

There are alot of amphicats out there, lots of pictures here in the othef aatv gallery and lots of threads on the Amphicat in the other aatv forum.
    Personally, you sound as if you have a clue so, I would look at all the pictures, read some posts and search you queries in the aatv section along with a general search of the forums in regard to some specifics. Abs repair is covered a bit by a few.
    Many owners of amphicats are not on often.
    Good luck.

My new beer holder spilled some on the trails - in it's hair and down it's throat.
    Joe Camel never does that.

Advice is free, it's the application that costs.

While the tires add a good degree of safety to remain floating if you "Sink" with about 100 pounds of flotation per tire. These machine will float with any tire or even without tires!
    Though not all tires will propel you in the water if the tread pattern is too broken up.

Dang. That means racing slicks are out of the question.

Seriously, though, it did come with a set of chevron tires, though different brands, if the same size. My concern was the fact the original tires look almost like balloons as opposed to what's available now. Good to know these will help if I choose to get wet. Thank you.
    Last edited by Moderator Bob; 12-12-2019 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Language
    My ATVs Average 1.5 Wheels

Hi Foxinabox, on the other AATV forum there is a guy name wedge who recenlty restored a ampibcat, ask him anything you want. he is a wealth of info

When storing it block it with wheels off the ground,,,especially in freezing weather.I had OEM tires on mine and they all cracked.

+ Reply to Thread